Ch 5

Sorry for the lack of an update last weekend. I spent the weekend with my boyfriend for our anniversary. To make up for it, enjoy this early update!

🥀

132 Brighten Road.    

You remembered the address. You remembered every turn, every house. It brought back a strong feeling of nostalgia. If only the circumstances were better.    

Andromeda's dad was a nice man. He was old, well respected, and a little secretive. His job was unknown to most people, including his own family. He had a front, but 'businessman' was a broad term.    

You come to a stop in front of Andromeda's childhood home. It was a nice house, well taken care of with expensive cars parked neatly in the garage. As you walk up to the front door, you stared at the blinking red light on the security camera partially hidden near the overhang.    

You press the doorbell and hear it ring from inside the house. The door opens and you put on a friendly smile.    

"(Y/n), is that really you?" Andromeda's dad, often referred to as Riggs, stands there grinning at you.    

"Pops! It's really me," you step forward and give him a hug. You and Riggs have always been like father and son. You and Meda would have play dates here all the time. You grew up with him, so your relationship was pretty close.      

"How've you been, son?" He ushers you into the house and shuts the door behind you.    

"Well, I've sure been better. Is Andromeda here?"   

He gives you an odd look. "Meda? Why would she be here? She moved out ages ago."   

"I can't find her after that.. oh, you probably don't know what happened."   

"Come on, let's sit down and have a nice glass of lemonade. You can tell me all about it, son." Riggs walked off to the kitchen to grab the drinks.    

He didn't seem very concerned. To be fair, he doesn't know what happened yet. You doubt that Andromeda had told her father. If she had, then he probably wouldn't have been so happy to see you. You and Rig had a strong bond, but Andromeda was his only daughter and he has always been protective of her.    

Just as you took a seat on the plush sofa, Riggs came into the room with two glasses of lemonade. They are ice cold and look absolutely delicious.    

He hands you one and takes a seat in the recliner a couple feet away. You set the glass down on a coaster on a small table that was beside the sofa. It looked appetizing, but you had to focus on the matter at hand first.    

Riggs took a big sip of his before placing it on the ground beside his chair. "Lemonade not to your liking?"   

"I have something I'd like to ask you," you say, disregarding his question.    

"Ask away, son."   

"Where is Andromeda?"   

"Meda? I thought she was your place. Why? Is she in trouble again?"   

Again?   

"No, not exactly. You see, something happened a couple days ago, which is what I wanted to talk to you about."   

He nods to encourage you to continue.    

"Meda and I had a disagreement and well..." you trail off, not sure how to tell him the rest.    

"Ah," he says with a sense of finality. He picks his drink up from the ground and takes a swig. "That doesn't change my thoughts about you, boy. I've known you my whole life. You're a good man, ain't no need to grovel to me."   

"Sorry, Pops, but that isn't all." You take a deep breath in. "During the fight, Meda got pretty angry and got a little violent. And towards the end she uh, she pulled a gun on me. I wanted the truth from you. Is there something about Andromeda that I don't know. How on earth did she end up with a gun? I just want to make sure she's safe and not threatening someone with it. I'm.. worried."   

Riggs was silent for moment. "It's not what you think, son. Meda isn't some criminal, nor a threat to anyone."   

"But why did she have a gun? And why was she so ready to use it.."   

"It's my fault," he says with a sigh, swishing his drink around a bit. The ice clinking against the glass was kind of making you thirsty. You decided to grab your glass and drink.    

As you drank, Riggs starts speaking again. "When Meda was a girl, I taught her how to defend herself. And when she got older, I gave her a gun to protect herself. There's some nasty people out there and I didn't want my baby to be unprotected. She must have had a lapse in judgment and-"   

"What about Fai Aberdale," you blurt out. The whole thing felt like a cover up, so you said the first thing that came to mind.    

His whole body froze as he processed what you just said. "What did you say?"   

"Fai Aberdale."   

Riggs sets down the glass. It makes a loud thunk as it lands on the floor quite harshly. "Stop drinking." He sounded so serious that you immediately rid the drink from your hands. "How much did you have?"  

"Just a sip.. why?"   

"You should be fine, then." He stands and moves into the kitchen faster than you would have believed possible for his age. He comes back in with a pill. "Take this."   

"Why? What the hell is going on?"   

"I put sedatives in your drink. Take this, it should help with the drowsiness. You didn't get a full dose, but you may still feel groggy and-"   

"Woah, woah. You drugged my lemonade??"   

"That doesn't matter right now. Take the pill." He practically shoves it in your mouth.    

You choke it down and give him an bewildered look. "What the fuck?"   

"Tell me, boy. How the hell do you know about Fai Aberdale?" He grabs you by the shoulders, his bony fingers digging into you.    

"I.. um." You can't just give Desmond away. "I have connections. And some of it i figured out by myself."   

"You're connection must be good then. I wiped almost every snippet of information of her death."   

He lets go of you and starts pacing the length of the room, lost deep in thought. You rub your sore shoulders and watch him.    

You'd never seen this side of him. What the actual fuck was going on.    

"Son, I'm going to offer you something. And if you refuse, this will be last time you see me. You're free to choose whatever you want, I just want you to grasp the severity of this question, okay?"   

"What?" You blink, trying to wrap your head around the whole thing.    

Last time you'll see him? What the hell was he about to ask you??   

"Do you understand?"   

"No! I don't understand any of this! This- This is fucking crazy I-"   

"Do. You. Understand."   

You take in a deep breath to calm your racing heart. Finding out what he has to offer shouldn't too bad, right?    

"Fine. I understand."   

Wait, what if by "last time you see me" means he kills you??   

You didn't want to die. You had so many more questions left, so many more places to go, so many more things to see.    

Ice ran through your veins when he opens his mouth to speak.   

"Would you consider working for me?"