Ch 12

Tensions were still high.

Alphie was fed up. This was supposed to be a fun night, and now he was stuck defusing a situation that was stupid in the first place.

Desi sat there, not saying a word, eating his food and staring dead into your eyes. Refusing to let him beat you, you stared back.

"You two are acting like children," Alphie snaps, unable to take the weird passive-aggressive atmosphere anymore. "And that's coming from ME. Suck it up."

"I'll stop if he admits he's being unreasonable," Desi states.

"I'll stop when you quit busting my balls," you spit back, downing your drink.

"Fine. Go right ahead. Tell us how much poor little (Y/n) is suffering. How much your life sucks. Cry to us like a little bitch baby-"

You jump as Alphie slams his hand on the table. "Desi." It'd been a while since you'd seen his this ticked off. "Stop."

"What? Am I wrong?"

Alphie stands up. "I'm done. You two sit and here and work it out. I'm leaving."

Frowning, you wave down River for another drink. You didn't need this shit right now. You were overwhelmed, confused, sad, guilty, and most of all scared. Scared of what you had learned, what you had gotten yourself wrapped up in, scared of the people around you, scared of the future. You just wanted Desi to understand, to stop treating this like it was no big deal. To stop acting like your life hadn't taken a complete 180. To stop making you feel so belittled and wrong. Hadn't he been the one to push you on this path? Why was he so angry with you. You didn't understand.

You didn't understand anything anymore. Nothing made sense. You ordered more drinks, drowning your thoughts in booze. Desi never spoke, never moved, he just stared. Watching. Waiting. Sitting there and silently judging. Gulp by gulp, you calmed down. You couldn't see straight, think straight, and it was exactly what you wanted. You wanted peace, quiet, silence from your head. Looking up, you stare at Desi. He was frowning, the corner of his lip curled up in disgust.

"What," you ask, emptying the rest of your glass.

His eyes moved over you. You were a wreck, it was embarrassing. Shirt undone a couple buttons, tie around your shoulders, hair a disheveled mess.

Desi stands, grabbing his coat. "Come on."

You furrow your eyebrows, moving away from his hand as he tried to pull you up. "No.. I'm not going anywehre witfh you," you protest, unable to speak properly.

"God dammit," Desi grabs a hold of your arm, yanking you up and dragging you towards the door.

"Nooo," you try to resist but you didn't have the strength. On the way out, you passed River. He looked concerned but didn't stop you.

Desi throws you into his car, slamming the door closed before walking around to the driver's seat. Unlike Alphie, he liked to drive himself. He starts the car, digging through his glove box.

You lay across the backseat, groaning. Everything felt wrong, everything spun.

"Here. If you puke anywhere else in my car but this bag, I'm going to murder you in the most painful way imaginable."

You reach out a hand to grab the bag, missing and hitting the console instead. Sighing exasperatedly, Desi climbs back out of the car and opens the backseat. You groan as he pulls you upright, shoving the bag in your hands. He pulls the seat belt around you, making it as tight as it could go. "Puke. Bag. Got it?"

You nod, leaning your head back against the seat.

As he started driving, you regretted drinking so much. Stomach tossing and turning, you held the bag close. The drive felt like forever. You heaved into the bag, emptying your stomach.

"Fucking gross," Desi mumbles.

"Sor-" you were interrupted by another round of bile.

What felt like hours later, the car stopped. "Oh, thank god," you say under your breath. You stayed still, letting the waves of nausea pass.

"It's your own fault," Desi says. When did he get right next to you?

He unbuckles the seat belt, dragging you out of the car. You briefly recognized your surroundings, but you focused entirely on not tripping over your own feet.

Desi half carried you inside, dumping you on a bed. Familiar smell wafted up to your nose and you inhaled deeply, curling up into the soft sheets of your bed. Home.

"I swear, you're so pathetic," Desi glares down at you, yanking off your shoes. "Can't even take care of yourself."

You mumble incoherently in response. You didn't want to speak anymore. Sleep was calling your name.

Desi sighs. "Helpless." As you laid there half asleep, he dressed you in something more comfortable. You lazily lifted your arms or legs in an attempt to help him. Grateful for some comfortable clothes, you crawled under the sheets and sighed contently as your head hit your pillow.

The bed dipped, something warm touched your face, and that was the last thing it took for your ass to pass out.

"I'm sorry.." Desi whispers, rubbing his thumb across your cheek. He fixes the blanket around you, leaving the room briefly.

A few moments later, he comes back with a glass of water, some pain meds, and a trash can. He sits on the edge of the bed, looking down at your sleeping face.

You looked at peace. He hated how you had looked earlier, so pent up and angry, scared. And he knew it was his fault. He cupped your cheek, frowning as guilt boiled and churned in his chest. He knew he shouldn't take his anger and jealousy out on you, but he did. And now look at you. Drunk, helpless, pitiful.

"I'm so horrible to you," he whispers, running his finger over your jaw, his touch soft as a feather. "Why do you stick around me..."

Deciding he shouldn't linger any longer, he gets up. But.. he couldn't just leave you like this, could he?

He listlessly picks up the clothes he thrown on the floor, folding them as he thought. Staying wouldn't be too weird, would it?

What if you ending up choking on your puke in the middle of the night? What if someone broke in and you weren't able to defend yourself? What if-

He shakes his head, clearing his thoughts. There was no need to worry. Nothing would happen to you if he was here.

He wouldn't let it.

Nothing would harm you.

Nothing.

Carefully, he climbs into the bed on top of the blankets, settling down as close to the edge as possible. He stares at your face, soaking up every detail. For the hundredth time. Memorizing every bump, every dip, every curve, every line. Storing it away like he had done countless times before. No matter how many times he studies your features, he never got tired of it.

Eventually, he turned out the lights, listening to each breath you took, counting every snore, watching over you, protecting you, just as he always has. Just as he always will.

Forever.

His.

This is def one of my favorite chapters so far. Anyway, earlier update than usual. Going out of town this weekend.

Stardew valley fic is up! Five chapters of it are currently out. I hope y'all enjoyed, I'll seeya (hopefully) next weekend with another update lmfaoo