5

Brynlee had learned that there had not originally been many suitors and that those few had officially stopped trying to court her

Brynlee had learned that there had not originally been many suitors and that those few had officially stopped trying to court her. Much to her mother's dismay. She had found it quite amusing really, her mother claimed that she had every right to choose whether or not she'd like to wed, but her mother still obviously wanted her to wed. Her mother had given up trying to mention a match between herself and Anthony Bridgerton. Which Brynlee found comfort in that.

But Brynlee seemed to run into Anthony far more, or at least she noticed it every time, annoyingly so. It was bothersome to say the least. But one thing Brynlee was focused on was how Daphne's time was occupied by the Duke of Hastings quite often. She had not said a single thing about it, but she was curious since Daphne had initially mentioned her distaste for the Duke. From what Brynlee observed, she believed the pair to genuinely care for one another and enjoy the other's company.

Brynlee stepped out of her home after a bunch of commotion to see Daphne in a robe, "What are you doing?"

"Bryn-" Daphne gasped as she rushed to her, "I need to borrow a horse."

"What on earth for?" Brynlee chased after Daphne, she was only in her night frock because she had barely woken up from the noise at her window. She stopped at the stables and grabbed the reins on a horse, "Daphne, what is going on?"

"Simon and Anthony-" Daphne breathed in as deeply as possible as she tried to regain a steady breath, "They-They are about to duel. I need to stop them. Please-"

"Daphne, you are not quick on a horse-"

"Then come with me, Brynlee, I beg of you-" Daphne grabbed Brynlee's wrists with great haste and concern. "Please, we must stop them."

Brynlee exhaled, "Okay, hop on with me-" She easily got onto the horse before she reached for Daphne. She clicked her tongue before rushing from the stables and out. She glanced back at Daphne as she maneuvered around, "Where am I going?"

Brynlee listened closely to Daphne's instructions as she rode as quickly as possible. She was not entirely sure what was actually going on but it must be serious for Daphne to be in such a panicked state. And do hear that the two men were actually doing something as ridiculous as a duel. What year was this? A duel? Of all things? Brynlee could feel herself fuming.

"Daff!" Brynlee yelled over the wind as she caught sight of them. She cursed under her breath at the sight of their guns. Simon was pointing his gun in the air, clearly throwing the duel.

"Keep going!"

Brynlee immediately knew what Daphne wanted her to do. She exhaled deeply as she moved the horse between the two men.

"Stop!" Daphne cried out.

Brynlee let out a loud gasp as Anthony actually shot toward them. He had quickly raised his gun as soon as the two were propelled in the air by the horse.