28

Brynlee ran her palms down the front of her deep blue gown with golden accents, deciding to dress in the Bridgerton family colors

Brynlee ran her palms down the front of her deep blue gown with golden accents, deciding to dress in the Bridgerton family colors. She had her hair put up but could not stop herself from messing with it. She felt as though she appeared rather ridiculous, trying be someone she was not. She was trying to be Viscountess Bridgerton.

"I believe you have fixed the same strand of hair three times now."

She jolted in complete surprise as she dropped her hands to her sides and faced her husband. Brynlee played with her gloves a bit and exhaled deeply. "Apologies."

"No need." Anthony approached her slowly before he took a single pin out of her hair and it went falling down past her shoulders. "Stop trying to be someone else. If I recall, I married Brynlee Dormer."

Brynlee stepped back from him and ran her fingers through her hair, "The ton is expecting a Viscountess."

"Are you not one?"

Her voice stalled as she glanced up at him, "You know what I mean."

"Do I?"

Brynlee softly shoved him with an exasperated huff, "Let us head out. I assume everyone is prepared?"

"Yes, we are expecting your family to be attending as well?"

"I believe so." Brynlee adjusted her gloves and ran her palms along her dress again, "With my younger brother courting Miss Sharma, eyes may fall upon them as well. And with Miss Wickham being the diamond of the season, that may help as well. Shall we go?"

"One moment-" Anthony cupped the back of her head and brought her lips to his in a hasty kiss. His other hand came to her jawline but his palm was pressed to the front of her delicate neck. He had backed her against the wall. He felt her gasped breath against his lips and grinned in delight before he bit on her lower lip and pulled back from her. "Now, shall we go?"

Brynlee exhaled deeply through her nose and fixed her gown. She tucked her hair behind her ears as she moved out of the room. As they were preparing to leave, she had seen how upset Eloise by the fact that she was required to attend but not her younger siblings.

As they stepped inside, Eloise backed up into her and winced, "I apologize but I cannot do this tonight." She looked directly at Brynlee, "I understand that you wish for me attend now that you are Viscountess and you expect such things and- I am sorry to disappoint but I just cannot."

"Oh, for-" Brynlee stopped Eloise before she could retreat outside the doors of the Featherington home, "Eloise, we have been friends for so many years. What would truly disappoint me is seeing you care what others think of you. That would be entirely against your character and would be absolutely dreadful. You should not have kept things from your family, especially your mother, but I understand you. And I want nothing more than for you to be who you are. Now..." She twirled her around so she was no longer facing the exit, "You have come thus far this season. It would be a shame for you to turn back now."