31

Anthony could not be behind his desk

Anthony could not be behind his desk. He was slouched over on the same couch Brynlee had slumped on with a book so casually weeks ago. But even that was not giving him comfort. With documents in hand, he could not stop his body from shaking. He was tapping his food on the ground and had his brows furrowed.

He heard footsteps of someone approaching him and he shut his eyes. "I will join the family in the drawing room momentarily."

It had been his mother instead of a member of his staff. And she just breathed out, "Anthony."

His head perked up and he quickly looked to his mother with a light in his eyes, "She's awake?"

Violet nodded with a small smile, "Mrs. Wilson heard from one of the maids."

A wave of relief rippled through him as though he were on sand upon a beach. He could not hold it in any longer as he set the papers next to him on the chair. He inhaled a sniffle and covered his face. And his breath could not remain smooth, coming out in shaky spurts as he tried to contain everything. But it was not working.

His emotions had been so overcome that he did not notice his own mother take the seat beside him. He was not even aware how long he sat there with his head in his hands. With his fingers pressing deeply against his temple.

"It is... unthinkable." His mother spoke softly, hesitantly as she thought over what she was going to say to her eldest child. "Finding someone like that. Someone... you love." Her voice broke as she let out a sob, "I am so sorry. I am so sorry that it was you who was with your father that day. And I am... sorry for everything that happened in the days that followed. If I could go back and change things- You have no idea how much I wish I could change everything. It is what I think about every night before I close my eyes, and then again every morning before I open them. It will never go away."

Anthony sniffled and did not wipe away his tears. His jaw taught as he struggled to even speak, "I do not think that I can see her."

Violet calmed herself down because it was her son that needed her. Her son had needed her for years. And she had not given it to him. But now... with Brynlee and seeing just how much pain he was in.

So she turned and faced him, almost becoming a wreck again at the sight of her own boy so broken and afraid of being in love. "Losing Edmund was the most difficult time of my life." her son just nodded, to allow his mother to know he was listening. "And the pain that I felt... beyond description. But there is one thing that has given me at least some modicum of solace. It's knowing that I would still choose the life I led with him, each and every time. And I would undoubtedly feel the same pain I left all over again if I had to because real, true love is worth it. No matter what. Do not lose her, Anthony. You cannot lose her."

Anthony breathed in deeply but couldn't stop the small hyperventilation his lungs were doing as he tilted his head to look at his mother. As she took his hand in both of her, cupping onto it.