7

Brynlee lifted one of the gowns from the bed as she stared at it

Brynlee lifted one of the gowns from the bed as she stared at it. It was a soft pink color with gold embroidered flowers. Despite the fact that she had never really been one to want to be downed in a dress or go to balls. She could appreciate dresses. She knew she looked gorgeous in them but she did not want that kind of attention.

"That is really pretty." Aspen offered from the door as she walked in. Her cheeks were rosy and she just had a gorgeous grin on her face, "Do you plan on wearing that tonight?"

Almost immediately, Brynlee pulled the dress away from her and shook her head, "Heavens no. This is for you. These colors would fit you far more than me."

"I believe anything could fit you." Aspen hummed as she accepted the gorgeous dress. "Why not try to find a husband with me? Perhaps we could both find someone to match our tastes this season."

Brynlee simply shook her head as she sat on the edge of the sofa, "Aspen, I am truly content with my current life. I do not need anyone."

"But do you want someone?"

She paused. Brynlee hadn't been asked what she wanted in this situation before. It was usually a conversation of what she needed as a woman. She tilted her head and stared off, "Well... I would not mind... but... I do not see myself finding someone that fits my tastes."

"Perhaps Lord Bridgerton."

"Perhaps not." Brynlee did not even miss a beat when she said this. She kicked Aspen's leg gently, "Come we must get ready."

Aspen seemed to get excited for this and grabbed hold of Brynlee's hand, "Shall we match one another tonight?"

"I am perfectly-"

"Content." Aspen finished with a long and sarcastic sigh, "Are you okay with what you are wearing? Maybe you could-"

"I am alright, Aspen." Brynlee laughed and got up from her spot. She was wearing a soft green gown that had a low cut collar. There was floral lace covering the entire thing, the lacy only had the leaves and thorns of a flower on it.

Aspen put on the gown that Brynlee had given her before she grabbed her cousin's hand, "At least wear jewelry." She moved to a small box in the room. One that Brynlee had brought with her, "Here, I like this one-"

Holding a golden chained choker with a small flower in the center. Aspen quickly unclasped it and put it on Brynlee. She gave her cousin a hug from behind her and forced the pair to look into the mirror. Aspen's smile was large and genuine as she looked at her.

Brynlee exhaled through her nose before she glanced down at her cousin, "Alright, let us go them, shall we?"

Aspen pulled away from her before she started for the door. She did not catch how Brynlee looked back at herself in the mirror. She cleared her throat before shaking her head and following after Aspen.