30

Anthony felt ridiculous as he knocked on his own manor's door

Anthony felt ridiculous as he knocked on his own manor's door. As he waited for someone to open it up for him so he could find where Brynlee has hidden herself away from the storm. He hadn't waited to be covered from the rain as he got out of his carriage to get to her.

"Lord-"

"Where is my wife?" Anthony demanded as he stormed inside of his home.

"Lord Bridgerton-"

"Why have I not been informed of my wife's-"

A maid had come over quickly, "Apologies, Lord Bridgerton, the Lady of the house took one of the horses early this morning and has yet to return."

"What?" Anthony took a turn outside without waiting to hear another word from his staff. He wasn't in control of his own actions as he ran to the stables. There was a lump lodged in his throat because he was the cause. He was the cause of Brynlee recklessness and her lack of care for her own safety.

His blood was frozen in his veins as he searched for her in the rain. And that was when he saw her. Miles ahead on her horse.

"Brynlee!" He called out but she had not heard him over the whirl of the rain, "Brynlee!"

Another rumble, so powerful, so loud, so deep shook the earth from the sky. Brynlee's horse kicked its front legs up. And it was like Anthony was watching the horrors in front of him in slow motion.

In that moment, Anthony tasted death. It was bitter in his throat, metallic and hard. It scraped his flesh like a knife, choking and squeezing, pulling the air from his very lungs.

"Bryn!" Anthony's cry tore into his throat, the pain numb in comparison to the feeling of his own heart in his chest. "No, no, no, no, no. Bryn!"

His body was not his own as he all but fell off of his horse and onto the floor. She scrambled on his knees as he stared at Brynlee. She was terrifying still as the rain coated her. He ripped his coat open and covered her body.

"Stay with me. Come on, now." His voice chook, terror gnawing him down, "You cannot die, Brynlee. Do you hear me? You don-" His voice cracked as he moved to touch her head and was coated in crimson liquid, already being diluted in the palm of his hands by the rain.

Anthony had been stricken still in fear as he just stared at her. She was dying. She was dying before his eyes. His heart shuddered. There were so many ways to die. If a bee could bring down a man in his prime, surely an injury on horseback could steal the life of one small woman.

Anthony grabbed hold of her and shook as he lifted her off the ground. He had lost his horse and her own in the storm but he needed to find someone to help her. He gripped tightly, words loosely leaving his mouth, "Don't do this to me. Not now. It isn't her time. It was supposed to be me-" He choked, "It was always supposed to be me."

His attention was drawn to a small carriage and he waved them down. Anthony refused to let her go even as he sat in the carriage. He got to his home and rushed inside.