27

Although gossip still surrounds the hasty marriage of Lord and Lady Bridgerton (formerly Miss Brynlee Dormer, for those of you who have been in hibernation for these past few weeks), This Author is of the firm opinion that theirs was a love match

Although gossip still surrounds the hasty marriage of Lord and Lady Bridgerton (formerly Miss Brynlee Dormer, for those of you who have been in hibernation for these past few weeks), This Author is of the firm opinion that theirs was a love match. There has been a firm belief that this pair were the perfect match from the very beginning. And This Author could not be more pleased with the choice that has been made. Though...

Should our lives be distilled down to the sum total of our choices, that Miss Eloise Bridgerton has certainly made a dangerous, perhaps ruinous one. For she's apparently been associating, unchaperoned, with improper company. Political radicals, in fact. It might be that the young miss spent a great deal of time considering her decisions. Or, perhaps, they were made in haste. Whatever the case may be, we all must remember, as one makes one's bed, so one must lie in it.

Lady Whistledown's Society Papers,

28 May 1814

Brynlee and Anthony had only been married for a mere week before the news of Eloise's transgressions arose in Lady Whistledown's paper. She had learned how much of her was needed for many things as the Viscountess Bridgerton, even more so now that Lady Whistledown decided to speak about Eloise. And yet even with her busy days as the Viscountess, her nights were with Anthony.

There was something about marriage that somehow agreed with Brynlee. Or perhaps it was only because Brynlee didn't see Anthony frequently. It allowed her some breathing time for herself. Where her mind wasn't all consumed by just him. By his voice. His touch. His mouth. His...

Brynlee did not need any reminder of the rules of this marriage. If her husband did not love her, if he would never love her, then at least he did a good job of making her feel cared for and appreciated when they were around. And for now, Brynlee was able to content herself with that.

And if he seemed distant during the day, which was regular whenever the two happened to cross paths. He certainly wasn't distant at night.

With the rest of society's focus on Eloise, it pulled all eyes off of the sham of a marriage between her and Anthony. Whatever Whistledown believed truly sent Brynlee into a whirlwind.

Brynlee stepped into the Bridgerton family room in her lilac gown and faltered for a moment at the dejection in the room. Eloise had closed into herself and did not even speak with Brynlee. The only ones who truly conversed were the younger children, Gregory and Hyacinth, if you did not count Lady Violet Bridgerton.

Benedict leaned back in his seat when he noticed Brynlee had entered, "We're not attending this Featherington Ball, are we?"

"Oh-" Brynlee was surprised when she realized he had directed this question to her, rather than his mother, "I-I do not know."

"I suppose it is a good thing we were invited." Violet offered as help for Brynlee, who was still getting used to her role as the new Viscountess, "On my walk this morning I was given the cut direct. Twice. At least Lady Whistledown does not seem to be writing about it."