12

Aspen glanced over at Edwina as soon as Brynlee left to her own room

Aspen glanced over at Edwina as soon as Brynlee left to her own room. She backed away from it slightly and walked over to Edwina. "I do not believe I have ever seen her that upset."

"What?" Edwina gave Aspen a curious look, "From what I recall, they argue and fight all the time, yes? I am certain that you must have seen her far angrier with the viscount."

"I have seen anger, yes." Aspen murmured as she walked with Edwina to her room, "But her emotions were not anger. Yes, she was mad, but that was not the way she was looking at him. He actually hurt her feelings."

"What exactly happened?"

"He had a man distract her..."

"Well, that seems to be something that Lord Bridgerton would do in general to get your attention." Edwina cocked her head to the side curiously, "What makes this any different?"

"I am not entirely sure." Aspen admitted, "I think... I think it may be because she actually enjoyed Mr. Dorset's company."

"Oh?" Edwina seemed to chirp up at this, "Perhaps a match?"

"No..." Aspen furrowed her brows together, "I do not believe that is why she enjoyed his company. I happened to hear Mr. Dorset mention Beijing before I indulged in conversation with Lord Lumley-"

"She was upset that Lord Bridgerton used personal information to distract her." Kate interrupted, causing the young women to jump out of their skin from shock, "Had this man not mentioned her homeland, then perhaps Brynlee would be less upset. Not many people know of Brynlee's culture, but the Bridgerton family does."

"Ah..." Aspen sighed. She knew very little of Brynlee's relationship to the Bridgerton family, other than knowing that she was rather close to them. Primarily Daphne Bridgerton, Benedict Bridgerton, and Eloise Bridgerton. "I see."

"Now, no more gossip. Both of you should be heading to bed now." Kate pressed as she stopped walking with them, "Good night."

"Good night."

Kate waited for a couple of seconds before she made her way to Brynlee's room. She knocked softly before just entering anyway. "Are you all right?"

"Why would I not be?" Brynlee asked as she brushed her hair.

"I could think of many reasons-" Kate silently closed the door behind her, "Viscount Bridgerton being the primary one."

Brynlee set her brush down on her vanity and twisted her head to look over at her friend, "If I allowed that bloody bastard to bother me for long periods of time, I would never be able to function properly."

"I see." Kate murmured as she sat down on Brynlee's bed, "So his ploy of using Mr. Dorset is not bothering you as much as it seems?"

"What do you mean?"

"You dropped your brush." Kate pointed out. Instead of setting her brush down on her vanity, Brynlee completely dropped it on the floor, "You have every right to be upset, Brynlee. I do not blame you. If a man had mentioned Bombay, then I would be just as upset. It was not right for Lord Bridgerton to use his knowledge of your family against you as such."