24

Aspen had searched all the halls for where her cousin may have gone but seemed to have found herself lost in such a large castle

Aspen had searched all the halls for where her cousin may have gone but seemed to have found herself lost in such a large castle. She turned down a hall and completely halted as she stared directly at the Queen. Her eyes widened in horror as the Queen beckoned for her to enter.

"I-" Aspen stepped into the room and could only feel the nerves inside of her. "Your majesty."

"Your cousin has made quite a mess of today." The Queen spoke with her head raised and her posture perfect, "As my diamond, I hope that you shall remedy the situation."

Aspen faltered and furrowed her brows, "Your majesty... How would you wish for me to be able to remedy the situation?"

"Gather your cousin, whether she may have run off too, and get her back out there."

"With..." Aspen had to breathe in deeply, "With all due respect, your majesty, but I have no control over what my cousin does or where she goes. If she wishes to have air and be away from such a crowd on her wedding day, then that is what she shall do. My family appreciates everything you have done for us, your majesty, with this grand ceremony. But you never once asked the bride if she wished for you to turn her into a spectacle, for what I am assuming was for you to find the identity of this Lady Whistledown."

The man beside her grew angry for her stead and opened his mouth, "You dare to-"

"Lottie, did you see the fireworks!" The king suddenly rushed into the room in his night clothes, "I do hope there are more to come."

Aspen stood in surprise as she stared at the King. She had no idea what state he was in. She had always been told that he was sick and that was why he was no longer present anymore. All she could do was quickly bow down, "Your majesty."

"Oh dear... it seems... I am late for the ceremony."

"My king..." Queen Charlotte whispered before she raised a hand, "Someone-Can someone come and assist?"

"I didn't mean to keep you waiting, Lottie. My bride... my beautiful bride. Um... but where is the Archbishop... and-and-and our congregation?"

The Queen stood and stepped forward, "George-"

She is radiant, is she not?" King George turned around as a couple of palace workers approached him, "What are they..." He gasped as they grabbed onto his arms, "What are they doing? Stop! Leave! Leave me! Leave me!" He yanked away from them and turned back, "Lottie..."

Aspen finally turned away from the King to look back at the Queen. And the same powerful woman that had just been seated before her was cowering. Tears in her eyes and her lips quivering, but being unable to say a word.

Turning back, Aspen swallowed and slowly smiled as she grabbed the King's attention, "She will make a most excellent queen, Your Majesty. I-I hear the two of you have faced many trials during your... very happy courtship. But today... Today will make all of it well worth it, will it not?"