29

Brynlee had not returned to the Bridgerton home in the ton

Brynlee had not returned to the Bridgerton home in the ton. She had not looked Violet in the eyes as she explained her decision to go back to the country home.

Somehow it was strange to be in that large home on her own with just the working staff present.

Her eyes lifted up from the table as the staff came in with breakfast. Her stomach rumbled and churned, demanding food, and yet everything before her looked awful.

With a dejected sigh, she reached for a solitary triangle of toast and sank into her chair with a cup of tea.

It was not a surprise that Anthony had not come to this home. Or that she had not come home at all. She wasn't even sure how many days had even past at this point.

Brynlee took the smallest nibble from the toast and had to force it down. She had hoped he would at least send word or anything to her.

"Lady Bridgerton?"

Brynlee had not even registered that she was being spoken to at first. She blinked as her formal name was called again. Her head raised and she stared ahead at the footman standing before her with a small cream-colored envelope.

"This arrived for you a few minutes ago."

She murmured her thanks to him and took the envelope from his hand. Brynlee recognized Benedict's sealing wax herself, with his initials on it.

Bryn-

Anthony is here. He looks a wreck. It is, of course, none of my business, but I thought you might like to know. Perhaps even drag your husband out by the ears. Or maybe, move back here and live with him.

Benedict

Brynlee stared at the note for a few seconds longer before she forced herself to get up from her seat. If Benedict, of all people, had sent her a letter regarding Anthony, she knew she had to get off of her own ass and paid a call upon Bridgerton House.

She had made it to the house rather quickly but had been surprised that Benedict, not a butler, answered the door.

"Oh, thank God."

Brynlee gave him a bewildered look and glanced around him half expecting Eloise to jump out at her as well, "Were you waiting for me?"

Benedict nodded, "And you don't have to know at the door, you know. Bridgerton House belongs to Anthony, after all. And you are his wife."

Brynlee gave him a weak smile, she did not particularly feel like his wife at the moment.

"Ah..." Benedict watched her slowly and placed a hand on her back, "I... I hope you don't view me as a meddler in your affairs... but Anthony has looked awful and had been acting awful. And I had a sneaking suspicion you weren't aware that he was here."

"I knew he was here." She admitted to him, "What do you mean he's been awful?"

Benedict shrugged, "I figured hed have to emerge eventually to eat or relieve himself, so I waited on the steps whenever on the night of the Featherington Ball... I may have waited a few hours..."