Chapter 12

A/N WHAT'S UP HTTYD FANS

IT'S ME

YA GIRL

PLS DON'T KILL ME HERES THE UPDATE

...

After almost dying in a lake full of poisonous eels, Hiccup was expecting something scarier. Maybe something like an undiscovered dragon in chains, ready to shred and swallow any living thing that gets too close. The thought made him both terrified and excited.

What was waiting for them however was not a deadly beast, but a table with several stoppered flasks, no bigger than his pinky.

"Uh..." Fishlegs looked around uncertainly as if he was looking for a trap in the shadows.

"Jars?" Snotlout said, failing to hide his relief. 

"Uh-huh." Hiccup said thoughtfully. "Oh look, there's paper."

Indeed there was a yellowed paper, burnt at the edges that was rolled up into a scroll with a string. Hiccup pinked it up tentatively, afraid it might crumble in his hands because the paper looked ages older than him.

Instructions

On the other side of this paper, you will find five riddles. Write down your answer to their question. Once you have all the answers, you will have to find a hidden word with those very answers. That word will show which jar is filled with wine for the rest are filled with poison. If you successfully pick up the one with the wine and drink it, you shall pass.

Hiccup's face twisted into a frown. Poison. He looked at the jars, all innocently sitting with their blood-red contents. None of them looked different. 

He looked down again at the paper.

Warnings

I. The poison is deadly. One drop to your tongue and you will be dead in fifteen seconds. There is no antidote for the dragon responsible for it is yet to be discovered.

II. Do not try to smell them to find out which of them is the wine. The poison is just as deadly no matter how you drink or breathe it in.

You may answer the riddles now.

Hiccup turned to the rest and explained it to them. A sense of dread settled into the air.

"It's okay." Hiccup tried to reassure. "I'm good at riddles."

"Of course," Stoick said, with a pained smile.

He couldn't blame them. He was smart and he knew it. But people tend to make mistakes and usually, it happens in the most inconvenient of times.