Chapter 10

Hiccup's Pov

I hit the ground. Hard.

"Ow."

I looked around. I was in some kind of stone hallway. The wall at the end of the cavern had a night fury engraved in it. 

"We're here. I was right." I whispered to myself.

"HICCUP!" Astrid's worried cry from above the slide echoed through the walls.

"I'M FINE!" I shouted back. "BUT YOU GUYS NEED TO GET DOWN HERE!"

In a moment everyone and the dragons were underground with me.

"Woah," Toothless said.

"I know," I said to him.

"Yeah yeah okay. Cool Night Fury drawing-" Snotlout said.

"Engraving." I corrected.

"-at the end of the hallway." he continued. "Might I ask why we aren't walking toward it?"

"Snotlout, Night Furies are the smartest dragon ever. Don't you think they would've booby-trapped this place?"

"You're overthinking," he said, rolling eyes. "Look." he took a step forward.

"NO!" I shouted but it was too late. The tile he stepped on sank into the floor. About 10 steps away a whole wall descended from the ceiling, cutting the hallway in half.

"Of all the tiles you could have stepped on," I said, my wings popping out of my back in a  threatening way, as I turned to Snotlout. "YOU HAD TO STEP ON THE ONE THAT HAS A NIGHT FURY ON IT!"

Sure enough, when we all looked at the tile there was a night fury engraving on it.

"I didn't see." he squeaked. 

I forced myself to calm down. I looked around and saw that everyone was shaken up. "Sorry."

"It's fine Hiccup," Astrid said.

"Yeah, and you looked cool," Tuff said.

"Yeah and hot," Ruff said, with hearts in her eyes. I shivered.

I left my wings outside as I walked towards the new wall.

"It has a hole in it." I realized. I looked at the other walls. There were three crystals on the one on my left and three on my right. The ones on the left were red, blue and yellow. The ones on the right we're black, purple and green.

"It's a puzzle." I realized. Suddenly the floor shook violently. "Everyone hold on to the wall!"

Everyone did as I said. The tiles started falling into a pit below us. The floor was breaking and the dragons didn't have any space to fly.

I started flying because I was small enough but everyone was hugging the walls trying not to fall into an endless pit.

I looked back at the hole on the wall and realized something. "It's a key." 

"IT'S A WHAT NOW?!" Tuffnuts shouted.

"A KEY! IT'S A KEY. GUYS, THROW THE CRYSTALS AT ME!"

Ruffnut who was closest to the yellow crystal threw it at me. I caught it and pushed it into the hole. Nothing happened but the cavern kept shaking at the floor tiles kept falling.

Astrid threw the green one at me. I pulled the yellow one out and shoved the green one. Nothing.

"IT ISN'T WORKING!" I shouted frustrated.

"SON!" Mom called. "LOOK!" she pointed.

I looked at the top of the wall a few centimetres away from the hole. There was an engraving of words.

A fury comes out when it falls

but never when it breaks 

"A riddle? It's a riddle!"

"We'll figure it out then! You smart as a whip aren't you?" dad said as he took another step closer to the wall as a tile in front of him falls.

"Yeah, you better hurry up" Fishlegs screamed as two other tiles fell in front of him. Meatlug whimpered beside him.

'Think, Hiccup think!'  I thought. 'Something falls before a fury comes out. But something breaks before it goes back in. What would that be?'

Then it dawned on me.

"Night and day. A fury comes out when night falls but never during daybreak!"

"SO?" Snotlout screamed.

"THROW THE BLUE AND BLACK CRYSTAL AT ME."

Fishlegs and Tuffnut threw the blue and black stones at me. I caught them both before shoving the blue crystal into the hole and then the black one.

The cavern stopped shacking.

The tiles stopped falling.

I sighed out in relief as all the dragons squawked.

"Took ya long enough," Hookfang said.

"Be grateful," Meatlug grumbled.

"Yeah if it weren't for Hiccup here you would be nothing but a red smudge on the floor down that pit," Toothless said.

"Yeah, I think we can agree he's more useful than Snotlout over there." Barf and Belch said in unison.

By now I was cracking up and I was getting weird glances from all the humans in the room.

A/N Please don't kill me for updating late. I swear I thought just people didn't care for this book. Honest!