Chapter 17

I know I said I was gonna take a month or so off, but I really wanna update. Also this story reached 10k so here's an update I guess.

Hitoshi POV

I was walking through the forest surrounding the mansion alone. A few days ago I officially became a Zoldyck. We had a little 'celebration' or something, if that's the right word for run-for-your-life-if-we-catch-you-you-die in other words an intense game of tag. Which, I, unfortunately lost. I had a wonderful time after that. As a penalty for losing the game I owed my new brothers a favour each. Milluki had asked me for a foot massage, I shuddered remembering that. Kalluto wanted a story. I told him about a certain broccoli who became one of the best against all odds. Killua hasn't cashed in his favour yet, though I assume it was because he left right after the game to go run off with his friends. Illumi hasn't asked for anything, but I know he knows I'd do almost anything for him anyway.

So there I was three days later, leaving my new home I guess, making my way back to Heavens Arena. Illumi wasn't with me, he had to go off on another assassination or something, so it was just me, myself and I.

I walked past the front gate waving goodbye to the gatekeeper I'd never met.

To be entirely honest I didn't realize just how much I missed having an actual family. Sure the Zoldycks aren't your average people at all, but then again, neither am I. I'm a dead-man walking, how that is possible? I still have no idea. I'm working on trying to figure that out. I took the liberty of using the library back in the mansion, but surprisingly (or unsurprisingly) there was no information to be found amongst the books.

My airship was scheduled to leave in 3 hours, so I took the scenic route to kill time.

I sat down on a random log off to the side of a small trail I was taking. I sighed. This place wasn't so bad. No people screaming for help in need of saving.

"Somebody HELP!!!"

Damn, spoke too soon. Honestly though, who yells help when they need it? Don't people know you're supposed to yell fire? Meh, whatever I'll just go see what's up, old hero instincts kicking in again I guess.

"Please, someone, anyone! HELP!!!!"

I ran off the trail and down in the direction of the distressed voice. "Oh! Wonderful, young man, do you mind if I hide behind you?" I shrugged.

The lady took that as an 'ok' and ran behind me. "What happened?" I asked, I don't bloody care if I have to brainwash her or not, there was no one here who could see.

"I grow marigolds in my backyard as part of my flower garden. The cat that's been running wild throughout the area was eating them. I tried to chase the cat away, but it ended up chasing me up this hill." her now monotone voice stated.

"How'd you outrun it?" I asked.

"I didn't."

"Wha- oh shit!" I ducked to the ground, barley avoiding a glowing purple claw.

I stood up and faced the cat. Still gorgeous, I really wanted to pet it. No, no damn it, stop, the cat is trying to kill you, you do not want to pet it.

"Why are you protecting her?" A deep voice growled.

I stiffened, where did that come from? The lady was still standing behind me, under my control and completely unaware of her surroundings, so it couldn't have been her; but there was also no one else in the vicinity.

"I'm over here~," the voice sang, "don't ignore me."

No one else except the cat. Fuck.

"That's right, I'm the one you should be focussing on, not her or anyone else, just me."

"You can talk?" I questioned.

The cat looked momentarily shocked. "You can understand me?"

"Yes...? You're the one who started talking..."

"Interesting. Do you happen to be dead?"

Wut.

"I'm still breathing, so I'm going to have to say no."

"But you have died before?"

"Yeah, I guess you could say that. Why?"

"I'm a spirit of death, a harbinger of doom, an omen of destruction. I can be summoned, or I naturally appear in places where something is amiss. I'd say that something is you, wouldn't you agree~?"

I blinked, huh, alright then. "I'd be inclined to agree, are you here to kill me then?"

"No~, of course not. Did you listen to a word I said, I thrive in chaos. I'm not about to rid this world of some S-class entertainment, although I can't say the same for that lady hiding behind you."

I stepped off to the side, "She's all yours."

The cat grinned, flashing his incredibly sharp teeth, "I think we're going to get along wonderfully~." He sang before pouncing on his prey. I released her from my grasp in time to hear her delightful scream before the cat ripped her to shreds. I suppose my hero days are officially over if I let the people I'm trying to 'save' be killed.

"Oh, I never introduced myself, did I? I'm Nyx, it's an absolute pleasure to make your acquaintance Hi-to-shi Shin-sou~."

Looking back, I never did give him my name.

Short chapter to introduce the cat, what do we think of him? Do we like him?

Thoughts?