Chapter 2

The Sultan and I
Chapter 2

"She will not survive, your highness." I can hear that old man's voice beside me. "She's deeply malnourished and severely hurt from her bruises. Only a miracle from the almighty will make her wake up."

Where am I?

Am I dead?

Gustuhin ko man sanang buksan ang mga mata ko para makita kung sino ang nagsasalita ay hindi ko ito magawa. Pakiramdam ko ay sobrang nanghihina ako at hanggang ngayon ay iniinda ko parin ang sakit ng aking katawan mula sa huling pambubugbog ng sarili kong ina.

There was a long silence that came after that.

Then I heard that familiar voice again.

"Who in their right mind would have done this to a girl?" The deep voice was so close to me. "Doctor, do everything in your power to let her live. We are now nearing the capital of Constantinople, and you must let her live until we can get hold of more advanced medicine. "

Live? No.

I want to die.

Why can't I just die?

I don't want to be brought back to that small cell again. Please, no more pain. I don't want more pain.

Dahan-dahan akong nagmulat ng mga mata at nang dahil sa sobrang panghihina ay hindi ko parin ito mabuksan ng maayos.

But unlike before, I felt warmer under the thick blanket that had covered me.

Napansin ko din na nasa loob ako ng isang maliit na tent at mula sa kinahihigaan ko ay nakita ko ang patuloy na pagbuhos ng nyebe.

In a daze, my eyes looked around and found those emotionless brown eyes that were looking at me intently. He's standing near me with that dark expression on his face.

He's so stunningly beautiful that I feel like I'm dreaming.

The falling white snow behind him made him more surreal to me.

Hindi ko mapigilang mapangiti. At nang makita niya ang ngiti na gumuhit sa labi ko ay nakita ko ang unti-unting pamumutawi ng pagkagulat sa gwapo niyang mukha.

At least the Angel of Death has not left me. I must be dying now. No one can save me anymore. I'm glad that he did not leave me.

"She's awake, your highness!" I heard the joyous voice of the old man beside me. "Thanks to the almighty, he gave us this miracle!"

Miracle?

Then the old voice turned to me.

"You are so lucky, young lady!" the old man continued to speak. "The angel of death was at your doorstep, but the almighty must have decided to let you live!"

Angel of death?

My eyes turned to those dark brown eyes that were still staring at me quietly from beside me. Just like before, he looks so handsome with his black furcoat and turban. The intense gaze that's coming from his dark eyes is melting me.

What do you mean that the angel of death has left?

He's now standing close beside me.

Dahan-dahan kong itinaas ang kamay ko palapit sa kanya. Nagtataka naman siyang napatingin sa akin. He looked so confused by my sudden movement.

My throat felt dry, but I still gathered my strength to speak.

"T-take me..." I whispered.

Nakita ko ang pagkagulat na namutawi sa gwapo niyang mukha nang dahil sa sinabi ko.