Chapter 17

The Sultan and I
Chapter 17

The imperial harem of the Sultan was slowly filled with women of different races and from different backgrounds.

I heard that some of them are the daughters of the influential officials of the empire, and some are even taken from other lands.

Nagsimula ng magkaroon ng ingay sa loob ng dating tahimik na harem. At kahit na lagi akong nakakulong sa loob ng kwarto ko ay naririnig ko parin ang malakas nilang mga halakhak na nagmumula sa hallways.

Even though they are new, I can see that they have created bonds and friendships. Damla informed me that because they did not receive any favor from the Sultan, they will be required to stay together in a large room and wait to be called before being allowed to have their own rooms as favorites.

Sa ngayon ay kami palang ni Halime ang may sariling mga kwarto.

But seeing the beauty of these women, I won't be surprised if one of these days, someone is sent to a new room just like us and become the Sultan's new favorite.

Sa ilang araw na nagdaan ay nakakulong lang ako sa loob ng kwarto ko habang tinuturuan ako ni Damla ng lahat ng mga kailangan kong matutunan sa loob ng palasyo.

She even taught me how to read and write. In the afternoon, she would teach me the etiquette of the palace and how to brew some tea.

Brewing tea and reading books are my newly found hobbies inside the lonely palace. Except for Damla, my favorite book of paintings that was given by Prince Zulkahir became my comfort on the days I felt lonely.

Minsan ay napapatingin nalang ako sa bintana ng kwarto ko habang napapaisip kung nasaan na ba ang Prinsipe.

I'm curious as to when he'll return to the palace to see me. I would occasionally see his typical cheerful appearance while he's waving at me enthusiastically from afar.

Prince Zulkahir, I wonder where are you now? Are you living alright?

Sa ilang araw na nagdaan ay palagi namang wala ang Sultan Zahir sa loob ng palasyo. Narinig ko mula kay Damla na busy siya sa pagpunta sa iba't-ibang malapit na siyudad para bisitahin ang mga kalagayan nito. Umuuwi nalang siya kapag gabi at sa tuwing umuuwi siya ay kaagad niya akong ipinapatawag kay Damla para puntahan siya sa kwarto niya.

Then I would spend the whole night in his arms as he would greedily take me until I passed out or until it was time for the morning prayers.

For many nights, this became our routine. He never called for any other woman, causing heads to turn to me whenever I came back from his chamber in the early morning. The new women of the harem started wondering who I was and why I was the only woman being called to the Sultan's chamber. Even the Haseki, the official wife of the Sultan, has never gotten her share.

And tonight, Damla showed up in my room again with her usual happy face.

"You already know why I'm here, my Sultana." She informed me with a smile on her face. "The Sultan has called for you again to his chamber tonight."

Naibaba ko naman ang aklat ng mga paintings na hawak ko at wala na akong ibang nagawa kundi ang maglakad patungo sa kanya.

Matapos iyon ay nauna na siyang tumalikod at sumunod naman ako sa kanya patungo sa bathing area.

At dahil nadadaanan ang malaking kwarto ng mga low ranking concubines patungo sa bathing area ay kaagad silang napalingon sa direksyon namin ni Damla ng makarating kami doon.

They already know why Damla is picking me up every night. And every time I would walk or pass through them, they would give me a look of envy and contempt.