Chapter 34

The Sultan and I
Chapter 34

"Your majesty, the central town of the capital was reported to be infested with rats last night."

"There are reports of water poisoning from the wells where the people take their water sources, your majesty."

"There is an infection of small pox that spreads through the capital, your majesty. If we can't contain it, it will spread among the other places in the empire."

Nakaupo sa kanyang trono noong umagang iyon si Sultan Zahir habang nakikinig sa mga problema na biglang dumating sa kanilang empiryo.

"What?" He couldn't believe the news his officials had given him. "How could something like this happen?!"

"Your majesty," Dagdag pa ni Jalil na nasa tabi niya. "The rebels that Sehzade Zulkahir is leading have also managed to infiltrate the northern region. Our soldiers are deployed there to stop them advancing to the capital. "

Hindi na nga napigilan pa ni Zahir at napasuntok na siya sa mesa na kaharap.

"How could those incompetent generals allow the rebels to advance forward?!" He yelled in anger. "Do I still need to wield the sword for them to protect our land?!"

Naglakad naman palapit sa harapan niya si Baris at yumuko.

"Your majesty, please calm down." He said. "We cannot solve all of these problems if you don't clear your mind."

Nang marinig iyon ay napahinga nalang ng malalim si Zahir at napaupo ng maayos sa kanyang trono. Napayuko siya at napahawak ng noo.

Ngunit hindi pa doon nagtatapos ang problema na dumating sa kanya.

"Your majesty," Ezek Pasha bowed to him. "There is a rumor spreading around the empire that the reason why we have all of these catastrophes is because you failed to produce a Vali Ahad."

Kaagad na natigilan mula sa kinauupuan si Zahir.

"Your Majesty," one of his high-ranking officials, Mustafa Pasha, added. "I'm afraid that if you don't announce Sehzade Osman as your Vali Ahad sooner, the people will start a rebellion against your Sultanate. They firmly believed that our empire was being punished by God because of our failure to give the title to your son."

Tuluyan na ngang nanigas mula sa kinauupuan si Zahir at hindi makapaniwalang napatingin sa mga officials.

"Our people are suffering from these calamities, but all you're thinking about is how to give the Vali Ahad title to the Sehzade Osman?" He gritted his teeth with rage while looking at his officials one by one. "Have you all completely lost your shame?!"

"Your majesty," Si Baris naman ang nagsalita.
"You must hear the cry of your people. Without their support, your sultanate will suffer. "

"Please hear us, your majesty." Ezek Pasha added. "We must give the Vali Ahad title to Sehzade Osman to pacify the anger of God."

Hindi naman makapaniwalang napatingin sa mukha ng official si Zahir bago siya galit na sumigaw.

"You're even using the name of God to satisfy your interests?!" He yelled with rage before he stood up from his throne and angrily sermonized his officials. "These calamities are not punishment from God. Whoever has shamelessly spread this rumor must have wanted to ruin the peace and order in my empire. If I hear one more word about this nonsense, I will cut your head off. Now, is there anybody else here who wishes to be executed today?"

Nobody of the officials dared to speak a word.

At dahil wala ng nagsalita ay ibinigay na ng Sultan ang kanyang desisyon.