Chapter 3

The Sultan and I
Chapter 3

"I heard that you've been taking care of that young lady," Jalil said, cleaning his sword while talking with his nephew. "You know the fate of someone like her who holds dirty blood in the capital. It's either she will be sold as a slave or be offered as a gift to your brother. But judging by how much you care about her, it will be better for you to choose the latter. Every dirty blood who became a slave in the empire has met bitter endings. "

While arranging his horse's saddle, Zahir decided not to respond. His uncle, on the other hand, sits inside their tent while keeping a close eye on him.

He knows where this conversation with his uncle will go.

"You can't even have any woman you want because of your brother. I guess losing the haseki sultana (queen) to the Sultan is not enough for you to understand what I mean—"

"Uncle." He paused from preparing his horse and turned to the man behind him. "I won't have this conversation with you today."

Jalil put a smirk on his face before he returned his sword to its sheath. He stood up and walked towards his nephew.

"Until when?" Jalil's voice is provoking while staring eye-to-eye with his nephew. "Until when are you going to let your brother take everything from you? I can still clearly remember how happy you were when you were betrothed to Halime Sultana. But now, your betrothed has become a haseki sultana of your brother!"

Zahir was furious, but he'd long promised himself to never taint his sword with the blood of all those people he cared about. And that includes his closest uncle.

With clenched teeth, his hands turned into fists.

"Enough." He whispered into his uncle's face while controlling his anger.

Jalil only smirked at him.

"You can't protect her, my Sehzade." He whispered to his nephew's face. "As long as you continue to be blinded by your brother's false kindness, you can't protect anyone. Only by becoming the Sultan of the World will you be able to obtain everything you desire.That young lady will only fall inside the Sultan's chambers just like your past lover did. When are you going to learn your lesson?"

Those were Jalil's final words before he strode out of his nephew's sight. While Zahir was left dumbfounded and frozen on his feet, raging with fury.

***

Through all these days that I was on a journey with the Ottomans, I've come to realize one thing: the prince is cold on the outside, but he has a warm heart.

Now I see that his subjects are not afraid of him. Instead, they look up to him. They greatly respect him.

He's kind and compassionate, but also bold and fearless. He's strict and intimidating but also soft. I've been busy watching him every now and then that I've found all these wonderful traits in my savior.

The last time that I shared a meal with the prince was on that night when I woke up.

My meals were thereafter served inside my tent, and I was forced to eat alone. My meals have lost their flavor since then, and I have a peculiar bitter sensation in the back of my mouth. I have no idea why. Maybe I've grown accustomed to eating my meals with those dark brown eyes watching on my side.

I'm scared.

Have I become greedy just right after I've tasted a little bit of kindness from him?

"Your highness, it would only take a day from now until we arrive at the capital." I heard a soldier's voice who spoke beside my tent where I was resting. "His majesty, the Sultan, is expecting us to arrive. He prepared a banquet to celebrate your victory."

"You've done a great job of sending our messengers, Mustafa." I felt my heart beat fast after I heard his familiar deep voice.

Mabilis akong napalapit sa may bungad ng tent para silipin siya. Ilang araw ko na siyang hindi nakakausap mula nang huli kaming magsalo sa hapag-kainan.