Chapter 40

The Sultan and I
Chapter 40

"Where is Elena?" That was the first word that Sehzade Zulkahir had ever spoken to the Sultan after they sat down at the banquet served to him.

Kasalukuyang magkaharap na nakaupo si Zahir at ang nakababatang kapatid sa mesa na napuno ng maraming handa. Ngunit magsimula ng maupo sila ay hindi na nila nagalaw ang mga pagkain ng dahil sa matinding tensyon na bumabalot sa pagitan nilang magkapatid.

Zahir was not even surprised that the Sehzade would ask for his wife. He is fully aware of the friendship between the two of them.

Kaya nagtaas siya ng mukha at hinarap ang nakasalubong na kilay ng nakababatang kapatid.

He can still feel the hostility of the Sehzade towards him, and he can't even blame him for that.

"Her new name is Mihrisah." The Sultan replied. His voice was firm and his eyes were locked on the cold eyes of his brother.

Unti-unti ay nasaksihan nalang niya ang matinding galit na tuluyan ng hindi naitago ng prinsipe sa mukha nito.

Everyone in the room flinched when the Sehzade slammed the table in front of them. As they fell to the marble floor, the silver wares that had been meticulously arranged between them made loud clanking noises.

"Her name is Elena." Zulkahir gritted his teeth with hate while piercing his eyes at his older brother. "I refuse to call her by any name that you have given her. Elena was a free woman until you forced her to stay in this cursed palace!"

Zahir made the decision not to lose his cool. After years of conflict between his empire and the rebels, it was he who invited his younger brother and persuaded him to hold a peace meeting. Even after all these years, he could still feel the Sehzade's unrelenting hatred, but he decided to approach him calmly.

Kaya kalmado niyang hinarap ang nagpupuyos sa galit na kapatid.

"I did not invite you here to talk about my wife."

Slowly, the Sehzade's eyes widened with surprise from what he had spoken.

"Wife?!" Zulkahir could not even conceal the shock and rage on his face upon hearing his words.

Sumiryoso ang mga mata ni Zahir at napatitig sa nagulat na mukha ng kapatid.

"Mihrisah is my Haseki. She is my wife." His reply was simple and yet, he saw how it greatly affected the emotion on his younger brother's face.

Nasaksihan nalang niya ang unti-unting pagbalot ng sakit at lungkot sa mukha nito habang hindi parin ito makapaniwalang napatitig sa kanya.

Nagbaba ito ng tingin at ilang segundo ay hindi ito makapagsalita ng dahil sa sobrang pagkagulat.

Ngunit kaagad parin itong nakabawi at nanghihina itong nagtaas ulit ng tingin sa kanya.

"You forced her." Ang bulong nito habang nanlalaki ang mga mata nito sa galit na napatingin sa kanya. "You locked her up in this palace and forced her to marry you."

"Zulkahir—-"

The Sultan's words were cut short when Zulkahir jumped up from his seat and drew his sword into his brother's neck.

Ngunit bago pa man niya tuluyang masaksak sa leeg ang Sultan ay kaagad na lumitaw sa leeg niya ang isa pang espada. At sa dulo ng mga mata niya ay nasilip niya si Jalil na nakatayo mula sa tabi niya habang nakalagay sa leeg niya ang espada na hawak nito.

"I told you that these rebels could not be trusted, your majesty." Jalil spoke with a grim expression on his face. "We need to execute this rebel before he can be a disadvantage to you."