Chapter 13

The Sultan and I
Chapter 13

Zulkahir was right.

The new Sultan has only become worse.

He had mercilessly taken so many lives, and blood was spread throughout the empire. In order to clean the empire of the remnants of the past dynasty, he ordered the execution of all the officials who refused to bow down and swore an oath of alliance with him. Innocent lives were not spared, and the empire was put into turmoil.

I watched in his chamber as Sultan Zahir ruthlessly killed so many people. The hands that would tenderly touch my cheeks are the same hands that had taken their lives. The eyes that would look at me with warmth are the same eyes that looked at his enemies with contempt. And the lips that would whisper beautiful things to my face are the same lips that mercilessly ordered the execution of so many.

I was terrified.

The warm Prince Zahir, who has always been loved by his people, is now greatly feared by them.

He became someone I never expected to be.

He became a tyrant overnight, which drives his people to live in fear.

At ngayon ay hindi ko mapigilang manginig sa takot habang nakayuko sa harapan ng dating Haseki Sultan na si Halime.

Nagpapahinga lang ako sa bagong kwarto na ibinigay sa akin ni Zahir nang bigla niya akong ipatawag sa kwarto niya.

The harem is a whole section in one part of the imperial palace.

The low-ranking concubines are made to stay in a large room. While the Sultanas and the favorite concubines get to stay in their own.

I'm new, but Halime Sultana prepared the most luxurious room for me, as per Zahir's request.

At ngayon ay kaming dalawa nalang ang natitira sa imperial harem ng palasyo matapos ngang palayain ni Zahir ang ibang concubines ng dating Sultan.

No man is allowed to enter the imperial harem except for the Sultan and the castrated male servants who serve here.

"I called you here today to discuss an important matter." I flinched when I heard her serious voice.

Even in the way she talks, I can feel how powerful she is.

"I want you to know that from now on, I will be the leader of the imperial harem. With this responsibility at hand, I am giving you the title of Sultana. This title is only normally given to the woman who has borne a child for the Sultan, but I decided to make an exception for you. " She announced that stunned me.

Sultana?

I will become a Sultana? How would I dare?

Pero kahit na nagtataka parin ako ay kaagad akong yumuko sa lupa. I can't even look at her. Her presence is so intimidating that I can't look straight into her face.

"T-thank you, your majesty." I bowed.

"And because you are now a Sultana, I expect you to act like one. I know that dirty bloods like you are known to be uneducated and have no etiquette. But as a Sultana, I expect you to study and learn the etiquette of the imperial palace and also how to please his majesty, the Sultan. " She continued to speak, her voice commanding.

"Y-yes, your majesty." I whispered, feeling so small under her scrutinizing eyes.

Narinig ko ang paghinga niya ng malalim bago niya tinawag ang babaing servant na nakatayo sa dulo ng kwarto.