Chapter 51

The Sultan and I
Chapter 51

The next day, the officials of the Sultan, together with his generals, gathered in front of his throne for the announcement of my punishment.

Zahir was sitting on his throne, with no emotions in his dark brown eyes. He's wearing his royal robes and the turban on his head as the Sultan of the Empire.

I can't help but feel happy to see him looking healthy again. My only comfort now is knowing that he is already out of death's hands.

But I could no longer see the love that he has for me through his cold eyes.

I deserve this. He will never forgive me.

Mag-isa akong nakaupo sa gitna ng korte habang pinalibutan ako ng nga taong dumalo sa pandinig.

"Listen as His Majesty, the Sultan pronounces Mihrisah Sultana's sentence for killing Halime Sultan and Gizem Sultan!" His servant made the announcement.

Nakita kong tumayo mula sa pagkakaupo sa kanyang trono si Zahir at napatingin sa akin.

Samantalang nagtaas din ako ng mukha. At habang nakatingin ako sa kanya ay hindi ko mapigilan ang pangingilid ng mga luha sa aking mga mata.

"Mihrisah Sultana will be removed from all of her titles, and from now on, she shall become a commoner." Zahir started to speak while looking at me.

His tone is low as if he is struggling to talk. I'm not sure whether it's just my eyes deceiving me, but as he stared at me, I could see pain slowly seeping into his eyes.

Napayuko nalang ako at hindi ko na napigilan pa ang pagbuhos ng mga luha sa magkabila kong pisngi.

He's going to announce it.

He's going to announce my execution.

Alam ko na kung ano ang magiging kaparusahan ko ngunit mas masakit parin pala na marinig ito mula sa lalaking mahal ko.

So, I closed my eyes and brace myself for what he was about to say next.

Ngunit hindi ko inaasahan ang sumunod niyang sasabihin.

"And she shall be exiled to a foreign land without being allowed to communicate, speak, or come back to our empire."

Naramdaman ko nalang ang unti-unting panlalaki ng aking mga mata  atsaka ako mabilis na  nagtaas ng mukha at napatingin sa kanya.

Ngunit nang tuluyan ko ng makita ang matinding sakit na nakabaha sa kanyang mukha ay hindi ko na napigilan pang mas mapaiyak mula sa kinauupuan ko.

He's hurting too.

If there is one person who is most hurting right now, it would be him. And the worst part of it is that I can no longer comfort him.

From now on, I will become a commoner, exiled to a distant land, without any chance to speak with or see him again.

This punishment is worse than death itself.

Zahir, you should have ordered my execution, for death is a lot easier than not seeing you again. I do not deserve your love. I do not deserve your mercy.

But I watched as he gathered all of his remaining strength and looked at me with pain visible in his eyes.

And with a voice that was full of agony, he said his final words.

"Your freedom serves as your punishment."

Tuluyan na akong nanigas mula sa kinauupuan at hindi ko na napigilang mas mapaiyak.