Chapter 9

Lena didn't sleep through the night. Her mind racing with thoughts and her ears ringing from Magica's talking. She sat in the window seal, looking out of the window. The door opened pulling Lena's attention.

"I have a gift for you!" Webby called out, skipping Into the room. She got on the window seal sitting on her knees in front of Lena. Webby held out a handmade bracelet with a grin.

"It's a friendship bracelet."

"Why?"

"Because you're my friend. Here" Webby put the bracelet in Lena's hand.

"You trust me right?" Lena gripped the band in her hand and then slid it onto her wrist.

"Of course I do. I'll always trust you." Lena smiled despite Magica's anger. Webby jumped on Lena, with a surprise hug. Beakley came to the room.

"We have places to be," the old lady claimed Webby let go of Lena, then rushed out of the room.

"You too." Lena looked at Beakley with her beak slightly ajar. Magica laughed in her head.

"A-are you gonna... Kill me?"

"No. Nothing like that," Beakley laugh and walked up to Lena.

"Why?" Lena spoke in a soft, desperate voice.

"You're a kid."

"I'm a monster."

Beakley lightly winced then held her hand out for Lena. The forever duckling looked at the outstretched hand. She gulped down and then slid off the window seal. She walked up to Beakley letting the older duck lead the way to the foyer.

The kids stood on the sidelines looking at Lena. Each with a different type of unreadable expression. Lena felt judged under everyone's gaze. Scrooge stood by the door with his familiar scowl. It would be easier on Lena if they just killed her. Then she wouldn't face the wrath of Magica despell.

"Lena..." Scrooge started. His face softened.

"I'm sorry lass." Lena almost choked at his words. A pit opened in her gut that sucked away her hope.

"I've made mistakes in the past, and I'm going to fix them. Starting with this one." It was difficult to understand him with his accent, but the intention was clear.

"I can't let you get hurt again. We're gonna set you right."

A small hand pressed against Lena's arm. She looked to see Webby smiling. The boys came up to her with smiles. Beakly rested a hand on her shoulder. Lena wished she could cry. Magica yelled out in Lena's head. She grabbed her head groaning in pain. She wanted to yell. Lena took a deep breath and released her feathers. Magica still going off.

"You can't. Thank you for the offer though." Lena stepped away from the kids and closer to Scrooge.

"But we already have. We just need one more thing."

"What's that?"

"For you to go outside." Scrooge smiled stepping away from the door. Lena looked at the door. As soon as she left the protected mansion, she will be in the hands of Magica. Forced to spend eternity as a puppet.

"Trust me," Webby spoke up.

Lena put her hand on the doorknob. With a heavy heart and a deep breath, she opened the door. The warm sunlight on her feathers rejuvenated her. The wind brushing against her skin relaxed her. She missed the outside. She walked out of the door. A thunderous laugh echoed in Lena's head. A shadow formed under the sunlight growing taller and taller.

"Fool!" Magica yelled out as she appeared in front of Lena with a puff of smoke. Lena fell onto her bottom staring up at her. Webby ran up to Lena and grabbed her arm.

"You can not break a slave seal!" Magica laughed.

"Get up!" Magica snapped. Lena rushed to her feet while staring at Magica. Who smirked looking at Scrooge.

"Take off the talisman." Lena grabbed the string and pulled the gem from her shirt.

"No!" Webby called. Lena dropped the gem as a silent cry escaped her vocals. Magica glared at the little duck.

"What did you do!" She shouted. Webby held up Lena's arm, to show off the softly glowing bracelet. Lena had been tricked again.

"You!" Magica directed her staff at Webby. Lena stood frozen. She wanted nothing more than to grab the staff from Magica and break it. Destroying the gem on it.

"You're free." Lena jumped and grabbed the staff. Pulling it free of Magica's grip.

"Give it here!"

"Don't."

"You're not to listen to her!"

"Not how it works," Webby said grabbing Lena's hand. The bracelet glowed stronger.

"Do you even know what you've done?"

"A claiming spell can only be cast onto a talisman of strong emotions..." Webby started. Magica grabbed for the staff. Lena pulled it away.

"Once the talisman is willingly put on with a stated devotion. The spell bounds the wearer to the caster. The talisman can not be removed, or they will suffer hell on earth." Webby spoke from memory.

"Give me the staff!"

"No."

"Do you love Lena?"

"That brat and her mother made my brother soft, that's the only reason Scrooge was able to kill him." Magica snapped grabbing Lena's talisman hanging from her neck. It glowed a bright purple.

"Do you love her?"

"No!" Magica glared at the small duckling.

"Do you want her?"

"No!" Magica froze. The glowing faded away. She dropped Lena and jumped at Webby. Lena slammed the gem against the ground. It shattered into pieces. Magica let go of Webby and dropped in front of the pile. She scooped up as much as she could in her hands.

"You'll regret this!" Magica called as she grabbed the talisman from Lena's neck and flew off like a bat.

Lena fell in on herself. Tears flooded down her eyes. Webby pulled the vampire Into a hug. Scrooge was the first to move. He walked up to the two and wrapped his arms around them. Dewy was next. Then Hewy and Louie. Beakley joined last.

"I still don't like hugs," Lena muttered rubbing away the tears on her face. Everyone pulled from the hug with a warm smile.

"Lena... There's just one more thing to do." Webby grabbed onto Lena's arm and looked at the glowing bracelet.

"I don't want you as a slave," Webby said. The glowing faded away and she pulled it from Lena's wrist.

"You're free."

Lena grabbed the bracelet back from Webby and put it on.

"But I'm still your friend." She said. Webby jumped onto Lena again. Holding her in a hug.

That is how Lena despell became a part of the McDuck family. But there was still a lot of healing needed.