Chapter 14

From what the girls understood. Vampires were created from Vikings, by a witch. The Vikings ransacked a witch coven and they got their revenge. It was forever turning them into monsters. The plan was to weaken them with the sun. The blood-drinking was an unaccounted-for side effect of being a walking corpse—well, half-dead body. Vampires learned to turn their weaknesses into strengths. Around the time civilization started building into kingdoms, they hunted vampires and other-like creatures to extension, so they went into hiding but kept working from the shadows. Eventually, they were able to manipulate shadow magic, much like a witch, but not as strong. Their population has been steadily growing over the generations as vampires can reproduce and sire more. Though only under very specific circumstances.

"Lena. Are you okay?" Webby asked, gently stepping closer to the girl huddled in a ball on the floor.

"No," Lena whispered, her eyes closed tight.

"I do believe this is a panic attack," Violet said.

"Panic attack, this isn't a panic attack because I can't panic, literally. My body is incapable of it. This is self-loathing. Get used to it because it's who I am now." Lena said

"I am confused. What brought this on?" Violet asked.

"Lena, we didn't find what we were looking for, but it's something. Right?" Webby tried to sound comforting

"What do you mean, we found a lot of interesting information," Violet added.

"It's nothing. We are where we were before, without any Idea how to cure it!" Lena yelled.

"Cure what? Are you ill?" Violet asked.

"You're still here?" Lena yelled at the young bird.

"Lena, that's not nice." Webby scolded. Lena just scoffed and stood up.

"Then just hang out with your new friend. I'm going home." Lena marched out of the room.

"You are home!" Webby called to the duck stomping down the hall. 

"No, I'm not." She said, running out of the manner. Changing into a bat, and flying away as quickly as possible. straight to the only place that she'd ever felt safe. She dove down into the amphitheater, changing back to a human, ripping open the trapdoor, and sliding into the hatch. She curled up on her mattress wanting nothing more than to cry, but nothing slipped from her eyes.

Lena lay there staring at the blank wall in front of her. Her knees pulled up to her chest. She knew Webby was gonna come get her, but she wanted to be alone. The sun rested high in the sky, light seeping through the edges of the closed trap door. Lena knew that Webby would come for her, but she just wanted to be alone. It was only a few minutes before she heard the pitter-patter of small flippers above her.

"I know she's here, but I don't know where she's hiding," Webby said.

"How did she get here so fast?" Violet asked with a muffled voice.

"I don't know... Taxi?" Webby said. Lena felt an ache in her soul listening to Webby lie for her. She just wanted them to leave her alone to wallow. The trap door creaked under the weight of one of them. Silence followed, by soft creeking. Lena groaned and uncurled herself, lying on her back. The door opened and Webby slowly climbed down. Violet is right behind her.

"Lena?" Webby called hesitantly.

"Hi, Webs," Lena spoke. A light flashed, illuminating the small, dark space. Shining it directly at Lena. 

"Do you live here?" Violet asked. 

"No."

"She used to."