XIV

"P-Pardon?"

My feet turned cold. It can't be... It was only two times! There's no way...

"You're pregnant... Aderyn. It seems like you've been pregnant for two months, based on the heartbeat that I felt earlier. It's a 2-month-old fetus' heartbeat..."

"B-But you said that you didn't..." 

"It must've been a faint heartbeat that I mistook it for yours..."

No, this is unacceptable... I even tried to avoid the dates that they did it, thinking that Derrick won't be conceived if I do that method.

I touched my flat belly. What should I do if my kind neighbors find out about this... What would they think of me?

A prostitute? What else?

"Oh, dear Goddess." I broke down in tears and hugged myself.

"Go home now Ruslan, I want to be alone now..."

It seems like he understands and he didn't say anything either. I just heard the clicking sound of the door after he left.

I should be happy because I will be the mother of my favorite character. But even if I added my life experience from my past life, I still don't know how to raise a child.

It scared me as well as what my neighbors will think about me if they heard that I'm pregnant.

Gone the kindness they showed to me... They might be the same as the people in my past life, they might've been those kinds of people who don't like a pregnant woman without a partner...

It was always like that... Always. Getting judged because of becoming a single parent...

I drew a long breath before standing from the bed. I went to the big window of my room. I looked at the moon while rubbing my flat belly.

But no matter what, I will raise you. I know I can do it by myself. Even if there are people who don't acknowledge a single parent.

I jumped a little when I heard a knock. It must be Mrs. Guila, I pursed my lips together before I decided to come down and open the door for her.

"Child! I didn't bring your dinner, because I wanted to invite you to have dinner with us!" She smiled warmly at me.

"I-It's okay, I can make--"

"No dear, I want to take better care of you alright? Come! Oh and this."

She took off the shawl she has and put it on me. She held my hand and then she guided me to her house, just a few blocks from mine.

We entered her house and there I saw her family.

"Welcome, Aderyn." Mr. Arya greeted, he is Mrs. Guila's husband.

"Hi." It's Arwen the couple's only son.

"Hello, sister Aderyn!" Aria and Alana welcomed me with their cheerful voice, they are the lovely twins of the family.

"Come on in and have a sit!"

Arwen pulled a chair for me, I smiled at him and he responds with a nod.

"I remember that Aderyn likes the salmon dish that I prepared last time, so I made our dinner Salmon, I hope it's still to your liking."

I looked at the freshly cooked salmon dish. It was warm and there was steam coming from it.

"Sister? Why are you crying?"

I looked at Alana and she was curiously looking at my face. I touched my face and indeed, I am crying.

I covered my face.

"Honey? What's wrong?" Mrs. Guila asked, worried was laced in her voice.

I don't care anymore, I can't lie right on their faces after the kindness they showed to me. I will accept everything even if it means their disappointment and their disgust for me.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Guila, I didn't mean to lie and to hide it from all of you. It's just that I'm ashamed of myself."

"What are you saying, child?"

"I'm pregnant, I'm so sorry. I know that you're disappointed, but the baby is already here inside me. I will accept everything you say, if you say that I should leave, I will. But please, I want to keep my child..."

I can taste my blood by biting my lower lip, the whole room was filled with silence. I look up and saw Mrs. Guila's expression.

She was tearing up...

What... Why...

Before I can think of anything else, my body was enveloped by Mrs. Guila's warm embrace, I felt wet on my right shoulder and I noticed Mrs. Guila's shaking body.

"It must've been a tough journey here my child."

My eyes welled up with tears again when I felt a warm hand gently patting my head to my back.

"Hmm."

The whole family hugged me, I cried even more. Not because of sadness, but because of happiness.

All of us laughed after the hug and then we decided to eat our dinner. They took care of me during dinner, they were extra careful of what they'll put on my plate.

"Thank you so much, Mrs. Guila. For accepting me and my child, but if you don't want to---"

"Shush! Why would I not want a blessing?! I was rather amazed because you never thought of abandoning your future child. I knew a lot of women who abandoned their children for a stable life, thinking that their child would only bring misery and the one that'll bring them down. So thank you Aderyn, for being a strong woman."

She clasped my hands in hers. I smiled at her and mouthed thank you. We parted ways when she sent me out and escorted me a few blocks away from my home.

This is the only beginning, I'm not sure if the others will accept me and Derrick...

"Hmm..."

I woke up from the little sounds that I hear while sleeping, slowly, opening my eyes. I met a chocolate pair of eyes.

"S-Sister Aderyn is awake!" Aria shouted, waking every cell in my body.

I sit up from my bed and stared at the door that Aria used after she left my room. What's happening?

Wearing the shawl that Mrs. Guila lent me, I walked down the stairs.

"Congratulations!!!"

It was truly surprising to see all of my neighbors inside my house so early in the morning. There was already a lot of food on the dining table, lots of children running inside, it was quite rowdy, which made me a little dizzy.

"We are truly happy to know the great news!" Mrs. Sarah said with tears in her eyes.

"I am sorry if I want my son to be your partner." It's Mrs. Rosa, one of the mothers in the neighborhood to have her son flirt with me.

I smiled at her and said that it was fine. They set up the dining tables in my garden and we moved the food there.

It felt like a huge boulder of rock was lifted from my heart.

Now it's easy to breathe...

April 7, 2022

LizzannaWrites