XV

Just 1 chapter alright, and y'all need to do the important things that y'all need to do. 😆

─────∘◦ ✾ ◦∘─────

"The Grand Duke's movements were too suspicious Your Grace, the spies you sent to watch his every move reported that he's frequently going to the Vatican under the pretense of visiting his Uncle, the current Pope."

I stopped swirling the glass of wine in my hands, before turning around to face Zehin.

"I told you to tell those spies to leave their post and start looking for my wife." I saw how he swallowed and avoided my gaze.

"You know that we can't do that Duke, Young Master Calix was exposed a few weeks ago."

Because of Cressida's disappearance, Calix ran away from the Duchy to search for her himself. There are a lot of nobles who saw him since Calix went to the boutiques that Cressida frequently went to.

Calix is of noble and imperial blood. The blood of Astaseuls and the Imperial family runs through his veins, naturally, and he got their traits when it comes to appearance.

Sooner, those noblemen who saw Calix will question his identity. His life would be at risk if the grand duke caught wind of this. I can't let that happen, I will never let that happen...

"Tell them to look into what the Grand Duke has been doing in the Vatican. Surely, it is not purely because of the pope..."

Zehin bowed his head before turning away and leaving the office.

It's been 2 months since Cressida left the Duchy... I've already looked into the possible places that she must have gone to, I already told her mother and the Marquis, but it seems like they also have no clue about the disappearance of Cressida. Calix and Marchioness Eldenbourg were the only ones who were greatly affected because of her disappearance.

"Your Grace, a letter has arrived for you."

I picked up the letter from the maid, the crest on the stamp is from the Eldenbourg Marquisate.

The letter is from the Marchioness, she's inviting me to have some time with her and she wanted to personally hear the news regarding her sister, Cressida. Even though I want to refuse because even I, a powerful Duke, don't have any clue about Cressida's whereabouts, and I can't refuse the Marchioness because of her state right now...

I heave a sigh "Ready the carriage, I must meet with the Marchioness."

The maid bowed before turning away. I changed my clothes before leaving the Duchy.

"This way, Your Grace..."

I followed behind the Eldenbourg's butler. Later on, we arrived in a room. "This is the Madam's temporary room. She requested to be moved to the first floor of the mansion." He explained.

We entered the room, the first thing I noticed is the bedroom. It is supposed to be a sitting room before the bedroom in nobility's quarters because it is considered to be inappropriate to show the bedroom first. Lack of hospitality I supposed...

"I-Is that you? Duke?"

I walked closer, the Marchioness' face was pale as a white paper. Dark circles are also visible under her eyes. At one glance, one can say that she's stressed.

"My sister? Have you already got any news? W-We must hurry! She must be suffering! M-My poor sister... How l-lonely she must've been."

I got alarmed when I saw that she started to tear up.

"Don't worry, I will find my wife no matter what..." I assured her. It's funny how easy letting go of those words to someone when I don't even know where to start searching.

"My sister... Forgive her if she's been a trouble for your grace..."

"She's not---"

"I know that's not true. She's always been a troublesome child ever since we were little. But forgive her, she has done nothing wrong but obeys our father... How happy you must've been when she agreed to divorce you."

How happy I must've been? So happy that I can't even get a wink of sleep?

"My sister has always been in love with the Grand Duke. But because of me, she didn't end up with the man she loves..."

That's right, how could I forget that Cressida's previous fiance was that Astaseul.

The reason why everyone call her names was that she suddenly proclaimed her feelings for me, right after her broken engagement with the Grand Duke.

I felt a sting in my chest the moment I recalled the contents of the letter.

Why would she say 'unloved' when she didn't even love me right in the beginning...

"So forgive her Your Grace, please show us some mercy... Please help me find my sister..."

I left the Marquisate with an empty heart. While in the carriage, a lot of things went inside my head.

Why would I look for Cressida? What for? What will happen if I found her? What should I do when we meet?

Can I just give up on looking for her?

I feel so pathetic, those sleepless nights were useless right from the start. But the most pathetic thing was...

Why now?

Out of all the times that I should, out of all the times that I'm here in the Duchy with her... Why now?

Why should I realize that I already love her now?

I want to give up on looking for her, thinking that she's already happy on the path that she has walked into. That even if she can't marry the man she loves, she'll be happy.

Then what is this thought that I want to be with her again, and make her happy after all the terrible acts that I did to her?

Why should I have to feel this now out of all times?

Why didn't it have to be when she was still here?

Why do I have to push away the feelings that say I do love her the moment I felt her sincerity to help me adopt Calix? After the night we were drugged? The night it happened again...

Now how can I convince myself to give up on her, when I just realized that I already love her...

"Your Grace..."

Zehin opened the carriage door for me, but I didn't move out. I was just sitting inside, trying to analyze the words of the Marchioness.

If Cressida was in love with that Astaseul, that bastard must've felt the same. I can never forget their encounter in the Palace's garden. The way he looks at my wife...

"Gather the Duchy's private assassins."

"What? But why?"

The moment I looked at Zehin, his face paled.

"Gather them now... We will depart for the Vatican..."

April 11, 2022

LizzannaWrites