eighteen

"mr. stark, i believed you've found the source of these attacks."

a long mahogany table, everyone sitting in the uncomfortable silence of the meeting room. peter sat quietly in his seat, scrolling instagram, looking up every few minutes to try and read the faces of the others, but, to no real avail. it was fear, and apprehension, that was the expression he could read from a few people like wanda and scott lang, preparedness in natasha, carelessness from clint barton. peter glanced under the table and looked at everyone's shoes. scott wore converse, natasha wore some fancy heel brand , clint asics. he looked down at his own beat up vans, the rubber had started peeling off the toe of the fabric, laces were covered in dirt and mud, the once white stripe that contrasted the black shoe was now a dull gray. he'd have to get new ones soon, these were falling apart.

in the midst of his train of thought, the door opened aggressively and a panel on the floor lit up blue in the back of the room. quill, rocket, gamora and carol all appeared into view, still the room was quiet until tony.

"so, as we are all so well acquainted with, there's been a couple mysterious attacks on new york, it's always new york." tony began, chuckling at his own joke. "and the avengers, us, have been prompted to do something about it because god knows what this country would do without us. After a lot of research and countless computer breakdowns," carol coughed dramatically, "and captain marvel's dear help, i have sourced the problem child behind these attacks."

peter felt like he was on the edge of his seat, hanging on to every sarcastic comment and serious remark that tony was making. he hadn't noticed his foot tapping rhythmically on the floor in an anxious spree. another blue panel lit up, a scaled down hologram of a woman wearing a long cape and some fancy horns on her head, she looked almost young, early to mid twenties in earthly years but who knows how old this lady really was.

"heaisa, from a planet of which i couldn't pronounce the name of even if i tried, she is the robot spider lady who keeps blowing the waterlines and buildings yada yada." tony explained, dramatically yawning.

"and she has what kind of powers?" nat questioned, her face calm and collected like it always was.

"that my friend, would be a form of telekinesis. she controls them, maybe with her mind or some form of a neurotransmitter, but what's important to note is that she has been the cause behind several planets in our system blowing to bits." rocket added.

"and what's her motive? doesn't like new york or somethin'?"

"no, universal domination you know, as per the ushe."

the room had a weird air to it, the vibe that was previously anxiety was now a mix of rage, confusion, frustration and an abundance of annoyance from tony stark.

"here's where she becomes my problem. see these?" a spider thing appears on the table and peter felt a hop in his chest, his airways felt like they had tightened up. "she is pinning it on our friend in the corner."

the room turned and looked at peter parker who was clenching his fists in his lap, trying to make the shaking go away. he turned away and hid his face down from the rest of the group, they knew he wasn't the bad guy here, but damn did it sure look like it.

"it's my problem because that's our kid. that's my kid. So the sooner we get rid of this, the sooner we can send him back out without the fear of hate crimes." tony explained, turning off the blue in the center of the table.

"so what's the plan?" steve questioned.

"the plan is kind of to be determined, but pete will stay out on patrols and gather information, his suit is designed to recieve and process information which gets sent straight to me. any other questions?"

"yeah?" peter began softly, looking up and running a shaky hand through his hair, "i'm going to become public enemy number one? how can i stay on her without becoming suspicious?"

"lay low, engage stealth mode if you need to, and don't be afraid to call for backup." tony replied quickly, others began to chime in.

"we're always here for you parker, in or off the field." nat assured.

"help is always a phone call away."  scott agreed. peter flashed a smile and sat up a little bit straighter. stark called the meeting there and people began to clear out. it could have been noted that parker sprinted for the door, but was stopped abruptly by a heavy hand on his shoulder. he turned to see bucky, whose face was more relaxed than what peter was used to.

"you aren't alone on this one kid, you've got the strength of a million men behind you. i'm behind you." bucky claimed with a grin. peter nodded and thanked him before trudging to his room to change into his suit. he'd avoided it long enough and had finally decided, especially after the two pep talks and speeches that had been made, that it was time. he changed into his suit and checked himself out in the mirror, rather proud of how he looked in it and remembering how good it felt to be spiderman. he exited his room but was quickly stopped by tony.

"oh you're going out in that?" he emphasized the last part and peter looked at him sideways.

"uhm...it's my suit?" peter replied quizzically.

"oh no no no, i think you're ready for something better." tony reached into his pocket and pulled out a small web slinger. peter fixated it onto his wrist and looked at tony.

"press the button, kid."

peter pressed the button and a shiny metal suit began to morph into place up his arm and over his head, situating into place on the rest of him. he looked at himself in astonishment and then to tony who smirked. he looked rather proud of himself actually.

"holy shit! this is awesome, thank you, mr. stark!"

"yeah anytime. now get out there! go kick some ass, friendly neighborhood spiderman."

you're welcome.