nineteen

Peter felt free for the first time in a while, well, as free as someone could be when a world dominating bitch was pinning everything on you as a seventeen year old super hero trying to do the right thing. He shot a web onto another building and hurled himself through the air, feeling like he was moving in slow motion with the wind hitting his face through his suit, if he wasn't under a mask and suit right now, the chill of the late autumn air would feel amazing through his hair. He perched himself at the top of the Brooklyn Bridge and stood in the ethereal light of the setting sun, using his new suit to scan the city. He'd named her Karen, chuckling to himself with the name as he thought of Karen the Computer Wife when he'd first come up with it.

"Karen, anything?" He asked, feeling silly talking into the air. He waited a second for her response.

"Yes, disturbance to the North in Lower East Side, police are being dispatched now."

"Well let's go offer some help."

Peter stood up and placed his feet on the edge of the column, falling backwards and slinging a web to another catching himself before he hit a car and swinging along the bridge, it took him about five minutes to get to the Lower East Side where he could see smoke arising from a neighborhood and the sounds of police sirens reverberating off of the tall buildings. He spotted one of those stupid fleshy spider things and jumped down onto it, webbing all of the legs on it together and punching it out until it fell limp onto the ground. Peter was quick to move onto the next one, demolishing it, in the process calling for backup.

"Karen how many of these things are there? Can you scan for them?" Peter said in a panic whilst fending off a bot that had attached itself to his leg.

"Twenty one left." Karen's smooth voice replied, Peter could visibly see sixteen of them and mapped out his strategy of attack. He looked up and noticed a lightpole with a hanging light and shot a web, swinging himself around in a circle to draw the robots towards him. While they were distracted he connected three webs to the pole, a park bench, a fire hydrant and a police car, lacing them all together so that when at least ten of them were in the trap zone, he could attach a fourth one and pull up on the four corners and trap them inside. Patiently waiting, he decided to strike three others with webs, noticing that someone, though he wasn't sure who had come to back him up. It was Oliver who had snuck himself in and practically demolished the three that Parker had webbed up and his original trap plan working, he was able to disable eleven which had fallen victim to Peter's brilliant mind. Oliver appeared at his side and slung his arm over Peter's shoulders.

"My genius, what's your plan?" Oliver asked, there were only seven left and at that point, Peter's only plan was fist force combat and running in without a plan, just the means and thoughts of destruction.

"Don't have one, destroy the rest."

"That's your master plan? I'll take five and you take five love." Oliver said as he dashed over to a group of two and froze them solid, dismantling the parts. Peter smiled under his mask and began to do the same, destroying any of the little spider robots that were in his path. Ten minutes passed and the threat was cleared...or so they thought. Peter and Oliver were putting all of the parts and pieces into a pile when Ironman came down from the sky, something about this left a bad feeling in Peter's chest, like there was emotion flowing from the suit.

"What did you two do?" Tony's voice was demanding and made Peter stand up a little straighter, asserting himself.

"We cleared the little spider dude things Mr. Stark, got rid of every last one of them." Peter declared with a triumphant smile, Tony sighed.

"Did you see the mess you've created?" He shot back, Peter felt mildly offended and shifted his weight between his legs.

"We still stopped them all! And to be fair, he is an excellent strategist." Oliver butted in, ready to hand over fist fight Tony Stark. He summoned a bunch of tiny bots that began to clean up the mess to take back to his lab so he could further analyze them and figure out why they just kept coming.

"My office, thirty minutes, both of you." Stark demanded before flying off in the direction of the Avengers Tower where Peter would pace in front of his office while Oliver tried unsuccessfully to reason with him. The boys apologized to the officers on sight before heading in the same direction as the mini bots. Peter swung quietly, trying out a few neat tricks on his way while Oliver skated on a self-made path in front of him, trying to impress Peter by attempting a double axel and just barely landing it, he'd been practicing at the rink and was incredibly excited for the massive rink at Rockefeller Center to open in a few months. The two stopped at the entrance of the building and Peter keyed them in and they rode the elevator up to the top floor where Tony's office was, Oliver tapping his foot anxiously on the floor while Peter nibbled on a nail.

"Should we be, like, scared? I mean, not to say I am-I'm not an Avenger, so why would I be scared yknow? Not me." Oliver rambled, picking at a string on his suit and shivering from fear. Peter shot him a look at the click of a nail breaking and sighed. Oliver took Peter's hand and rubbed a thumb over his knuckles. The door opened and they stepped onto the floor which led immediately to a glass door which opened when they got close enough.

"In! In! Let's go superheroes!" Tony's voice boomed out, both boys flinched and hurried themselves in.

"Hey Mister Stark." Peter mumbled, laying his mask down on a counter and slouching himself down into a chair.

"I love that you two are..." he looked the boys up and down before turning around and prodding at something with a screwdriver, "coworkers? But! You were mere centimeters away from blowing up a main water line and you!" He turned again and pointed to Oliver, "Could have frozen the entirety of the Lower East water supply! Any explanations or?"

"Well we did stop all of the lil robot dudes and in Oli's defense, he's still working on controlling his powers." Peter said sarcastically.

"Well I have control of them, just not, like perfected yet, I'm still trying really hard to be like in a hundred percent controll but sometimes I get a lil carried away with the ice and freeze a lil too much but-"

"Oliver? Marquez isn't it?" Tony stopped him mid sentence.

"Well Davis-Marquez but yeah-"

"Hm, okay so you know my friend Bruce, and I need you to join my team or else-yikes look at that- two hundred thousand dollars in damages that I'm sure you can afford, right?"

"What?! You're blackmailing him?" Peter stood abruptly and blocked Tony from Oliver.

"No, I'm trying to save his skin."

"I don't know that I can commit to that." Oliver whispered, squeezing Peter's hand who turned around and gave him a reassuring look.

"You don't have to be an active member of the team, no nothing crazy like that, I just need to take responsibility for you so I need you to at least pretend. Can you do that?"

"Yeah. I guess I can, is my mom going to know though? I think she'd kill me if she knew what I was doing."

"No, she won't have to know. You're a good kid," The boys smiled at him and he rubbed at the back of his neck, "and I have to look out for this kid's boyfriend."