The Trek

Ponyboy's POV

We got home and immediately got ready to go out to the drive-in. Soda and Steve were the only two at the house, so I just told Soda I was going out. "Alright, little men. Be back before curfew." He ruffled both our hairs.

We headed out of the house and met Dally back at the lot before getting into the movie theater. Us three walking to the movie theater for the first time since that one day, gave me so much deja-vu.

"So what movie is this even?" Johnny asked Dallas. "Supposedly, thriller, but I'll be the judge of that." He snickered. We finally got there and snuck our way to the front where we noticed the place wasn't as packed as it so used to be. There were still tons of people, but it wasn't the same amount that used to make it even out.

"Feels emptier than usual," Johnny mumbled when I realized it wasn't just me. "Yeah, well that's because this place is hinted more towards greaser territory now. Socs have a better drive-in on their side of down." Dally said immoderately following with a curse under his breath.

Dally's mood swings are like something out of a mixed-up dream, where one minute you can be chill and the next to have the harsh temper of a rattlesnake. I liked to sketch the whole gang to kill time and get my mind off of worse stuff, but when it came to drawing Dally I caught every pessimistic detail. He was really unique but not always the positive kind of unique.

Only a few minutes into the movie and he's intrigued. Probably cause it ain't no drippy love story kind of film. The movie went on but it wasn't exactly the peak of my interest. Johnny was never into movies, so I'm sure he just used this as an excuse to be anywhere hanging out with us.

At one point, there was some sort of jump-scare that of course didn't startle Dallas, and I wasn't paying the most attention to the screen. It was Johnny, that let me notice. That, and the sounds of the film. It all happened so quickly. The scare happens on screen, and Johnny tugged my sweater in fear on one side, as Dally being as invested as he was griped "Glory.." Under his stone-cold breath.

The tug from Johnny called immediately and, I turned to look at him, and he hasn't let his hand clutching a chunk of my sleeve go. "You okay, Johnnycakes?" I utter to him. "Yeah I was just startled awake, that's all." He muttered.

I put my hand on his knee and assure him that it's over. "Don't worry Johnny, The film'll be over soon, and I'm right here if you need me," I told him quietly. After another couple of minutes of watching the movie, I feel Johnny's head fall onto my shoulder. He zoned out insanely after I comforted him.

I started to brush my hand throw his hair. Obviously, like us greater, his hair was greasy but not like mine or some of the others. His was greasy but with a bit of scruffiness. It was kind of a soft fluffy feeling.

The move came to an end eventually, and I woke him up as we got out of there. "Alright, kid, I'm not trying to have your older brothers get mad at me for having you out an extra twenty minutes after the curfew. Ol' Darry might holler at me if I show up." I look at my watch and see that it's a good twenty-five minutes after my curfew. "Darry's not home though, so it's not like Soda will mind much. And if he does, I won't blame it on you." I told Dally.

He smirked, "Oh, Sodapop won't mind that it was me anyway." he followed it with a silent chuckle. I furrowed my eyes in question what he meant by it but we parted ways. Johnny and I were walking real close, side by side. I noticed him get a bit weaker and. "Need a boost, Johnnycakes?" He looked at me vague. "If it doesn't bother you, man." he smiled wearily.

"Never, Johnny," I told him as I crouched to carry him around my back. I held him up under his legs as he gripped his arms my neckline. I started walking us back home and noticed him half asleep as I got in. "Long day Johnnycakes? You're knocking out left n right." I whispeted. "Hmmmm" he muttered. "Don't worry, we'll go straight to bed." I hushed him.

"Half an hour after curfew, Pony.." Soda said from the couch. "Shhh," I hushed moving my head slightly to show sleeping Johnny on my shoulders. "Well, you're lucky I'm not Darry with curfew, Be more on time though. You're worrying me." He exhaled. "Night, boys." He said with a drowsy yet charming smile.
set Johnny down on the bed, as he yawned and took off his jacket.

"Night, Johnny." I smiled at him.

"Night, Ponyboy." He said weary.