The Reaction

Johnny's POV

It'd been a week and a half since Pony and I kissed under the star-shower. Took us a bit to wanna talk about it, but we both knew just how much it meant to both of us. I loved him, and he loved me. It was no surprise though.

At least, not for the gang. Dally and Soda knew, and we were telling the rest, tonight. I asked Ponyboy if anyone else knew, and he said he's not sure if he slipped it to Darry accidentally. Me knowing Pony, he most definitely did.

Nobody outside of our friend group was allowed to know. Not parents, Not the Sheppard gang, Not the Brumley boys, Not Buck Merril's gang, Not Cherry, Marcia, Randy, and the Socs. Nobody.

Only us.

The Outsiders.

Only Dally and I were at the Curtis house. Everyone else, working. Ponyboy was with Soda, who was teaching him how to do some stuff at the DX, where Pony would temporarily work with Soda, every other weekday, this summer.

I was cleaning the house, so I could be ready to make my big announcement to the gang at dinner. Pony told Soda to make sure everyone comes for dinner, so it was on me to clean the living room for it. Dally was there to catch a life break. He and I spoke to each other while I multitasked in the living room.

"Kid, I've never seen you so productive. All this for your bae." "Knocked it off Dal. Pony means a lot to me." I said, sweeping.
"I'm not making fun, I'm having fun. There's a difference."

I scoffed "You don't see me talking smack about how fruity you are with Soda!" I mock. "What? Oh, you've crossed the line, asshole!" He yells, bashful.
We have a joking argument, but it didn't distract me from cleaning.

(But honestly, does nobody else notice them?)

I finish up what I can, before 4:00 pm hit. Less than 5 minutes after, A knock at the door. "Dal' can you-" I say, before I see him knocked out on the couch. I sigh "Helpful ass." I get the door and open it to see everybody.

"Johnnycakes!" Pony says, hugging me. "Hi Pon'." I blush. They all walk in and Soda leaps to the front of the couch, whirling Dally awake. "Hola, Sleepyhead." He says softly at Dallas. "Let me sleep, hun-" "No!" Soda replied, hitting him with his DX hat. "Fuck you" Dal hissed. "Love you, too." Soda rolled his eyes.

Darry goes to the kitchen and I smile, knowing he'll be amazed at how I followed his dinner recipe. "Johnny, this is impressive, great job bud." He says messing my hair. "I try." I shrug.
We all sit around at the dinner table, and I start a "toast" when we all get there.

"Hey, y'all. I know this is somewhat awkward but. . . there has been something I've needed to tell you all, and I couldn't bottle it up no more." I started. Everyone at the table had full attention on me. Pony smiled while blushing and I started to feel mad butterflies. "I just really wanted to say how, I don't know how to explain what you guys mean to me. Everything you say or do. I could never feel more affectionate. So thank you all. Especially, Ponyboy. Where would we both be if not for each other?"

I then let Pony take it away.
"If it weren't for Johnny, I'd die, and if it weren't for me, Dally'd be dead. And if it weren't for us both, Johnny'd be. It's a chain reaction. Who knows if thats the end of it?" Pony whimpered. 

"Pony, don't say that!" Soda cried.
"Soda, the boy's right," Dally said, putting his hand on Soda's shaking knee.

"Yeah, We owe everything to each other. Life's a mess, but we've only been able to get through it with each other." Two-Bit adds.

"Well, thats why we're greasers." Steve includes.

"No, it's why we're best buds." Darry ends it.

"What I was getting at was,"
I looked at Pony, standing right in front of me, he closed his eyes as our lips connected. I felt his warm lips on mine for at least 5 or more seconds.
We turned back and sat down at the table, everyone was speechless and jaw-dropped.

"My kid brother found his true love!" Darry hugged Pony. "Dar!" Pony squirmed in his tight grasp. Steve and Two-Bit we're smiling and giving Pony and I high-fives, and Dally and Soda just stared from us, to back at each other and reddened. "We knew you could do it, Johnny." Soda smiled. "Your turn then, Soda." Dal winked at Soda, making him turn tomato red.

"What-" Darry let out turning around.

We all burst into laughs after that.