The Soldiers

Ponyboy's POV

I woke up to Johnny's arm right near my head. I guess he woke up at some point and ran his fingers through my hair. I reddened at the thought of him playing with my greased fluffy hair as I sleep. I turn to look at him, peacefully sleeping.

The sight was very delightful for some reason. It all just brought satisfaction. He was still resting so I didn't bother him. I reached onto my nightstand right by the bed and get the book I left there. Sodapop got it for me on Christmas and I've been trying to read it since. It was about this group of soldiers who all had stories to tell about their lives before, after, and during the war, they were drilling and going into.

There were many different viewpoints of the soldiers in the book, not being told by a first-person character. One character, Stephen, I felt reminded me of Johnny in a way. Stephen did drills with a select few counterparts and had a very sweet personality. A bit of hidden nerve and uneasiness too.

Stephen kept suffering on his defense and even though a bit of skittishness ran through him, he could always rant and let out any of what was on his mind. That's what reminded me of Johnny, from him.

I opened the book and read Chapter 8 very quietly to myself.

'The machine gun was being loaded, as Stephen watched Mike and Percy load the gun. He admired the work of both from afar, not letting it known to either. A calamity now and again when fretting to Mike about Percy, yet Only Mike seemed to notice the dedication Stephen had felt towards Percy. It had only prevailed that manner for whom Stephen had stood up this far for of. Percy, it was. Percy was seen as who Stephen saw of as a hero. But, after Stephen's only hope was Mike, for a week of drills, he acknowledged just how vastly could enter out of Mike.'

(A/N I made up that story and characters)

I lowered my voice reading it, as Johnny seemed to mumble and move a bit. His head fell on my shoulder and I continued to read a bit. After reading a bit more, I felt a connection with the characters and their problems.

I heard a small grunt on my side as I watched Johnny's eyes open up. "Morning' Johnny." I greeted as he smirks back tiredly. "Hey, Pony." He sits up and stretches after blushing at waking on my shoulder. "What're you readin'?" He asks.

"Just a book Soda got for me." I yawn. "The Christmas one?" He asked. I giggled and nodded. "The Soldiers, by Alistair Vail" he read the cover. "I've heard kids talk bad about this book in the hallways of the school, Ponyboy." He told me. "Really?" I asked cocking my eyebrow. "So what's been rumored." He added.

"But, I found it to be a really good book." I frowned. "Do you know exactly what they said?" I glared into his oak-colored eyes and asked. "Well...They called it a queers book, in a very insulting way." He sighed.

"... There are gay people in this book?" I furrowed. Johnny shrugged and I started to think out loud. "Why would it be insulting though?" I muttered. "Not sure... I mean it's really not so hard to let anyone love whoever." Johnny blankly let out. "I wonder how this book is..gay," I said as I started to quickly skim through the chapter, Johnny right on my side looking too.

"Here maybe?" He asserted pointing at a line in the book that read,

'Mike gave Stephen a look of panic as he took his eyes off starting at the zeppelin that took off. "Steph, please. I can't lose you." He cried looking directly into the eyes of the other. Stephen pulled Mike into a cold tight embrace at the exit of the field. "Then don't." He begged to cry in the holding of the other.'

"...Ohh" Was all I can get out. Stephen still managed to remind me of Johnny and out of nowhere Johnny blurted. "I don't know what others are on about. That was a bit saeet." He smiled. "Yeah." I agreed. "Seems the Stephen folk can trust that Mike boy with his life."

"Well, If I was that close with a good friend, I would too." He said bashfully. "Like, I am with you Pony." He reddened looking up into my eyes.