The Flashback, Pt1

*The next 3 chapters are a big flashback except for the beginning of this one*

Ponyboy's POV

After cuddling together on the grass, and looking up at the star for a while, I decided it was time we left. I helped Johnny up and we walled home holding hands together. I don't know where I'd be if Johnny were gone.

•°•°Flashback starts•°•°•

We had just won the rumble, and I could barely think straight. Dally had immediately taken Buck's T-Bird to go see Johnny with me. After making up a bit to get me to the hospital from a policeman, (I can still hear Dally hissing "Sucker!" every time I remember it)

Dally told me that I'd better wise up. He told me that I get tough like him and I don't get hurt. I look out for myself, and nothing will hurt me.
(. . . He lied.)

Dallas ran out of the car with me into the hospital, my head hurt like crazy and I felt sick. But I kept running, for Johnny. We made it to Johnny's room. I remember it vaguely, I felt myself feeling like I was gonna blackout. The doc had stopped us though.

"I'm sorry, boys, but he's dying." He said. I was hyperventilating a bit to myself, so nobody realized. Dally was demanding to enter and threatening him. I was too busy wanting to scream and cry at what the doc said to remember back what Dally said, but I tried to pay attention to it. Johnny was dying, though. The doc let us in "because we were his friends and not because of the knife."

The room was dead silent. We're too late. He's dead already, So I thought. (Twice) "Johnnycake?" Dally called hoarsely. Johnny stirred weakly and opened his eyes. "Hey," he said softly. I felt so relieved and my heart felt like it melted. Dally told him we won. He told him all of it. "Useless. . . fightings no good. ." Johnny said.

"They're still writing about you in the paper, bein a hero and all," Dal told him. "You're a hero now and heroine for all greasers, we're all proud buddy." Johnny's eyes glowed and I saw it as they fell onto mine. Dally was proud of him. And that's all Johnny wanted.

"Ponyboy"
I had barely heard him, it was so quiet. I would have missed it if all my attention wasn't on him. I came closer to him and leaned over to his face to hear what he was going to say.

"Stay gold, Ponyboy Stay gold. . ."
Johnny died. . .
(. . . .)

Dally lost it all. After he pushed Johnny's hair back, he whirled suddenly and slammed against the wall. His face leased in agony, with sweat streaming down.

"Dammit, Johnny. . ." he begged, his fist slamming on the wall. "Oh, dammit, Johnny, don't die, please don't die. . ." I wanted to say something to him, but I wasn't sure what. He was already gone, you can't just wish that. He was gone, right? So what's the point.

(. . .We were stupid though.)

Dally had bolted out the door, but I knew Dally. I knew if I didn't stop him, he'd stop himself. And I mean for good. "Dally, stop." I tugged on his jacket. He was aggravated. He turned his head around, and you could see his face, tears and sweat mixed with quite possibly the rain from outside too.

"What, kid what? The boy is gone, he's all we had to care for, I'm ------- sick and tired of this ---------." He went on to rant and lash out with many unprintable words, as I stood there, about to cry too. "Let go, kid!" He yelled and shoved me. I jumped.

"Dally we need to be fond of each other, please don't you leave me too, I can't. . . have you do that. Please. It ain't fair to you, or me. It will only be more stressful if you go do something to execute yourself."
He didn't turn back to look at me, so I was outside the hospital, on the concrete, sobbing. I let it all out and could feel the agony in my body more.

I was stuck with watching, another one of the most affectionate people in my life pass away, and watching as another person who I had just realized what meant to me, try to leave me. I opened my bleak dizzy eyes to a hand, shaking and reaching down to me. "Get the ---- up." He demanded softly.

"Let your pity be the only reason I'll live to see more life." I got up and I hugged him. "Dally, don't leave, please." He pushed me off of him, as we took the car home.