The Brothers

Ponyboy's POV

By the time, we sat down at the restaurant, I was ready to stay silent and say almost nothing. I felt newly unusual around Johnny, lately and if Soda was right about it being love, I would have to find that out for myself, now.

We managed to keep a natural talk going on between us without it getting awkward. I'm not sure why, but for a bit, after we started eating, I wasn't sure on how I would want to start another conversation. But then it hit me. There was gonna be a meteor shower tonight. I saw it spoken about in the newspaper.

I wanted to bring it up, but I was afraid that Johnny probably wouldn't be interested. But if I was taught anything, it was that you won't learn from it until you try. So it wouldn't hurt to ask. "So, Johnny, uh. . ." he immediately looked up at me. "I wanted to know if you were interested in wanting to see the meteor shower tonight with me."

"Oh, there's a meteor shower tonight?. . Yeah, that actually seems a nice man. I'll go with you." He said softly. Not much after that, we left the restaurant. We started to walk extra close to each other. I felt like I was almost about to touch his hand with how close we were.

We walked to the park to plan out where we would be later for the meteor shower. "I think it would be a better view if we sat around one of the taller hills but moreover there under the trees." He said pointing to a secluded area. "Alright, there seems good. I don't think there'll be many other people here then."

I checked the time on my watch and was shocked by how fast the time passed. "Shoot Johnny, I gotta get home fast, Darry wanted to talk to me about something," I said as I grabbed his hand and dragged him running with me. He gasped at first in shock, but then ran in sync after a few seconds.

As we ran to the house, hand in hand, we saw Dally and Soda sitting on the chairs on the porch laughing together about something. They looked at us as we ran in and stood at the door, still having our hands interlocked. Darry was sitting at the table and looked as if he were awaiting our arrival.

"Pony, I've been meaning to talk to you about some things. . ." He said as he put a cup of coffee down. "Hey, Johnny do you think you can give us some space?" Darry said as I felt Johnny's hand slip from mine as he simply nodded and walked outside to hang with Dallas and Soda.

"What's up Darry?" I asked him. "I've just wanted to talk to you about some stuff." "Ask away. . ." I said as I sat at the table. No wonder he wants to talk to me. He thinks he knows everything about his kid brothers. Well, clearly.

"Soda told me you've been having mixed emotions and I just wanna make sure my little teen brother is doing alright." He went on to say some stuff as I was getting a sick feeling already. "What did Soda tell you?" I asked. "Some really wise and important stuff I didn't know he could use his head for." I almost let out a giggle.

We went on to have a nice sibling chat about emotions and growing up and nonsense, and I almost didn't slip up about Johnny.
Almost.

I'm not sure exactly how it happened since I already had a but of a headache feeling with the stress of maybe not being able to watch the stars with Johnny. What I did remember was ever so slightly letting out, "Well, I'll always feel safe going everywhere with Johnny. He's my best bud, and I don't think if be any less stressed if I didn't have him here."

"You really appreciate Johnny, don't you?" He smiled. "Yep," I said. "I love him."
That's when I noticed I slipped. His eyes widened but not by an amused amount. "Yeah, I can tell." He said getting up and ruffling my hair, and that was by the time I realized what I just mumbled. Great, both my older brothers know. Who's next, Dally?