The Flashback, Pt3

*This is the last part of the flashback chapters* *Continuing the Flashback*

Ponyboy's POV

It was daylight when I woke up for real, this time. Darry put the armchair in the bedroom. Why was he sleeping?  Shouldn't he be at work? I guess he stayed home to look after me too. "Pony, you okay?" "Yeah, I think so."

"Dally. . . is he okay?" By that point, it rushed back to me that Johnny died, and Dally was wanting to but didn't for us. "Yeah, Soda has been taking care of him non-stop." Darry started to go on to tell me how I got a minor concussion and how he said how he told me that I was in no condition to be in a rumble.

Two-Bit told Darry about the fever I had before the rumble, and then Darry said how it was Tuesday morning, and I'd been asleep since Saturday night. "Darry. There's no way I will ever be able to make up my schoolwork. And I gotta go to court and talk about killing Bob. Darry, will they split us up, put me in a boy's home?" I said taking a deep breath. "I just don't know, Pony."

"But. . . Pony, We have extraordinary news for you. We've tried to tell you since we found it yesterday evening, but you were unconscious you couldn't understand. But I want you to stay calm with the information I give you, alright?" Darry told me. "Okay. . . You're scaring me." Darry sighed and softly told me.

"Johnny's not dead, Ponyboy."

"What?!" I yelled. I sat up immediately from the bed, the sharp pain in my head pulling me back, not being able to keep up with my impatience.

"What do you mean?" I cried. "Y-You're messing with me! Stop that please! It's not funny! Are you serious? Darry, Darry, Darry, explain!" I was crying and trembling at him. "I'll explain, but you have to promise to calm yourself and get some sleep afterward." I nodded and rubbed my eyes.

"Tim Sheppard came by yesterday. He ran in and told us that he went to go see the leader of the Brumbly boys, at the hospital and he saw Johnny wake up almost lifeless and pale and dull as ever. He spoke to the nurses about how we all thought he was dead, and they said that you and Dallas ran out of the hospital room before the nurses can confirm. They said he just had a very fatal blackout and could've died any moment. But not exactly then. But he said that the doc said he's in no condition to leave anytime soon and to give him at least three months. You can visit him but please don't confound each other."

I sobbed and hugged Darry, in excitement and I asked, "Can we see him today? Does everyone else know? Are the doctors sure he won't have another fatal blackout and not survive that one?" Darry went silent.

"We can't see him today, you have to stay in bed for at least another three or four days, Pony. We'll see him soon, and Dally threatened the doctors enough times to have them make sure they do all they can for him. We can hope and pray he lives long enough to start with us another long while. But go to sleep now and don't worry about anything else."

"The trial?" I asked. "I'll wake you up a few days before so you're nice and ready, I promise," Darry said assuring me back to sleep.

"Thanks, Darry." I smiled.

A month later

Johnny was getting so much better and was going through numerous treatments left and right, It gave me a bugged feeling but, I would never mind, whatever got him able to wanna see him. Soda told me that a few nights back with my concussion I'd cry for Johnny. I didn't believe him until, I woke up after a realistic nightmare, where it felt as if I couldn't save Johnny.

But not too much more than two months later, (or 66 days to be exact) Johnny was out of the hospital and I swear I have never run somewhere faster before, not even in track.

Johnny and I cried for hours numerous times that past week, and he told me about what happened with those fatal iceless blackouts, and that they were basically something similar to seizures or anxiety attacks.

He'd have to have me make sure he took multiple pain medications each day, and to make sure he didn't try going anywhere without his crutches for months.

It doesn't matter how it was then. I'm glad to have it as it was now.

*End of flashback chapters.*