Let's Try It

Okay, I don't know a DAMN thing about how this process works, how long it takes, or even how possible it is with Dick's particular injury. And I'm tired of looking for a straight answer.

I'm not even kidding, I've been trying to find one for nearly a month and I need to write this chapter.

In other words: don't expect medical accuracy.
______________________________

Dick's weary eyes blinked up at Dr. Aguilar.

Her gentle smile attempting to encourage him as both Bruce and Wally stood behind her, also giving small smiles but failing to completely hide their nervousness.

James and Adam were behind Dick's wheelchair, watching the interaction with critical eyes. They had to look out for any sign of discomfort that was unusual.

Well, physical discomfort anyway.

They've been attempting this uh.... activity... for nearly two weeks now after it was determined the strength in his legs have built back up.

And especially after... he felt feeling in his toes. He couldn't move them. But he felt when Tim accidentally bumped against them.

Felt the rough material of his backpack and the material of his jeans.

That meant there was hope, slowly but surely the injured part of his brain was indeed healing and him regaining his mobility seemed more possible than it had months ago now.

His paralysis didn't appear to be so permanent anymore as they had initially feared.

However, before they could even think about helping him move his legs-- he needs to stand up.

Wasn't going very well so far.

"I know it's frustrating Richard. And I know it may seem hopeless... but it's not impossible. You can do it, and we're all here to help you."

Dr. Aguilar reached out her arms toward him.

"But you need to be willing to keep trying."

Dick let out a heavy sigh through his nose before letting his eyes flit over to Wally and Bruce before nodding briefly.

After two weeks, they both knew exactly what this gesture meant.

Wally's smile grew and became genuine as Bruce went to one side of Dick, Dr. James to the other.

Both men positioned themselves and braced to pull him up by the arms, Adam was behind in case he tumbled backwards.

All the while, Dr. Aguilar was in front, arms open and encouraging smile never leaving her face.

With another nod from Dick, both men counted to three before slowly and gently pulling him up.

As soon as he was up, Dr. Aguilar's hands grabbed ahold of his arms and Adam pressed his hand against Dick's back to steady him as he nearly tumbled to the ground, causing Bruce and James to tighten their grips.

A minute passed as they all stood there, all hardly daring to even breathe.

Dick's breathing was heavy, his teeth gritted, and his own grip on Dr. Aguilar's arms was so tight it was likely to leave a bruise.

But her smile never faltered.

This is as far as they've come so far. For the past two weeks, Dick would have already of been back in the chair.

Wasn't completely out of the woods yet, his legs were shaking horribly.

Another moment passed and Dr. Aguilar was alternating her gaze from Dick's face and down to his legs, monitoring the shaking.