Time To Go

James's gait was rather sluggish as he made his way into the hospital. For Gotham it was pretty quiet out, aside from the ever constant sirens. Still, it wasn't even 6:00am yet, the sun hadn't begun to rise just yet and so far only the birds seemed to be waking up.

James took a moment in front of the doors to relish the rare, calm moment in this messed up city. He couldn't stay long though, he needed to help get Dick prepared before his family came.

He took a deep breath before entering the building, giving a distracted nod to the receptionist as a greeting, and quickly took the closest elevator to Dick's floor.

Dick's family had finally made the proper accommodations. The guest room on the ground floor has been turned into his new bedroom, with a hospital bed instead of his usual one. The gym has been outfitted with walking bars to help with Dick's recovery. And Dr. Aguilar will be visiting every Tuesday and Thursday to continue therapy. The bathroom connected to his new room has been outfitted with the equipment to give Dick more... independence. Much to Dick's relief.

Instead of his intravenous pain medication, he has transitioned to a somewhat weaker strength and in a pill form. And of course, Bruce had to get a new car to accommodate his wheelchair, as well as ramps for the front steps and back porch. Not that that was a problem.

He's been doing very well, all things considered.

He's been able to stand on his own for more than fifteen minutes at a time, all within a month since the first victory. Still, it's been a slow and painful process. Not to mention very frustrating for his patient.

It's been bittersweet really. As the strength in his legs are returning, the feeling is coming back as well.

And with feeling, comes pain.

Couple that with his headaches-- well, Dick's mood has been pretty sour lately despite the encouraging progress. A silver lining perhaps, is the success of his anti-seizure medications.

The rate has lessened and for the most part they are very mild.

Yesterday marked the tenth month since he had been admitted to the hospital, so when it was suggested he continue his recovery at home, Dick was all too eager. Of course there were some limitations. 

When he tries to stand, someone must always be present with him, he will be using a wheelchair at home, and he must have a cane whenever he's standing (unless it's with the use of the walking bars). 

And along with Dr. Aguilar's visits, James will be stopping by every Wednesday to check on him. Since Mr. Wayne has the proper equipment to tend to his son at home, it was unanimously decided that Dick would now be much better off at home. 

For both his physical, emotional, and mental recovery.

James lightly knocked on his patient's door and waited for a moment before going in.

James stopped at the foot of his bed and sighed gently.

He was asleep.

For the most part, the monitors and machines had been disconnected already. Either Evaline or Rosa must have been here already.

Very well. James can help him pack his belongings, although he was sure Dick would rather have Bruce help him get dressed.

James hesitated a moment but after checking his watch, he made up his mind.

He walked over to Dick's bedside and gently shook his shoulder.

"Richard? Come on now, time to wake up."

Dick's eyes slowly opened before blinking blearily up at his doctor.

"Today's the day, Richard."

Dick's eyes blinked in momentary confusion before opening all the way in realization. His face was momentarily strained as he forced himself up into a sitting position.