Diagnosis

Connor, Megan, and Wally were still in the room after three hours of waiting.

None of them spoke but all three were sitting next to each other in separate chairs, nearly jumping when the doctor came back into the room.

His face was tired with a look of resignation. Dick wasn't with him.

Wally stood up and the doctor rubbed his eyes, seemingly just noticing they were still here.

"Doctor? How is he?"

The doctor hesitated for a moment.

"He is in a coma. But... that's not the worst part. He has a diffuse axonal injury to his brain."

The color drained from Wally's face. He slowly sat back down in shock.

But M'gann was confused.

"What exactly is that?"

"It's a brain injury, often caused by blunt force. It does not cause bleeding but the cells are damaged severely, resulting in the loss of function."

Connor furrowed his brows and narrowed his eyes.

"Will he be alright?"

"There is a chance that he will survive this, perhaps without serious long term effects. However, the most common outcomes from this type of injury is either permanent brain damage or, worst case scenario, death."
_______________________________________

Twenty minutes passed after the doctor left and Dick was finally wheeled back into the room.

Although now there were even more machines following him that were connected to seemingly every part of his body, especially on his neck area.

And he had a ventilator tube sticking out if his throat instead of the oxygen mask.

Gauze was covering most of his neck, the only bare spots were for the cords to come out of. There was also some gauze covering his forehead.

It was, as the nurses explained, to offer some soft padding for his head.

The nurses who wheeled him in were actually not Evaline and Rosa, who are his usual attending nurses.

But it seems there was an emergency with another patient of their rounds.

The other nurses merely made sure Dick was situated correctly before taking off hurriedly, quickly saying the doctor will be back very soon.

And true to their word, he was.

Just as Wally attempted to go to his bedside.

"I must apologize now for any inconveniences. Within the short amount of time we last talked there was an... unfortunate incident in Gotham. Many children have been flown here for emergency care."

All three of the undercover heroes shared knowing looks before M'gann excused herself from the room.

Doctor James sidled to the side to allow her to leave before going to Dick's side to check his vitals.

After reading the machines and checking for any stimuli, the doctor backed up some and shook his head sadly.

Finally, Wally stepped forward as Connor silently exited the room, likely to see if M'gann found out anything about the 'incident', and inquired to the doctor about Dick's vitals.

James, although not wanting to disclose this information, finally caved after the patient's... rather insistent, but caring friend practically talked his ear off.

"His heart rate is 55. Now that is lower than it should be, however his heart itself is still strong despite the slow beating. His blood pressure and oxygen are also low, however..."

He gestured to the ventilator tube and numerous IV bags.

"Those should help. His burns are severe but healing well so at the very least there is that for good news. Unfortunately we do not have a good estimate on when he will wake up, if at all, but research has shown that there is a way for those close to a patient in a coma to help. The loved ones must talk to the patients, if those in a coma can still hear what's going on around them then it can help them wake up. It can increase their will to live."

Wally nods in silence, an unspoken question on his mind.

"...we don't know if he'll be able to hear you with that severe of a brain injury. But it's worth a shot."

"Anything is Doc."

The two men agreed in understanding before an elderly woman, whom Wally recognized as a receptionist, come hurrying in the door and whisper something into the doctor's ear.

A small, sincere smile broke through the James's otherwise grim face.

Wally gave him a questioning look as he excitedly thanked the receptionist.

"Mr. Wayne is finally here!"