Hero

"It has now been confirmed that Richard Grayson, Bruce Wayne's eldest ward, has been hospitalized in Gotham Central for extensive injuries. It is unclear at the moment what exactly happened but his known injuries include severe smoke inhalation, severe burns all over his body and--"

One of the two attending nurses shut the TV off while the other changed their patient's dressings.

"Aye Evaline, not even 48 hours has he been here and the media is already sticking their noses where they don't belong!"

Nurse Evaline, the one who silenced the television, simply nodded, irritated as much as her co-worker was.

She walked to Richard's other side to check his vitals while the first nurse, Rosa, finished with the bandages.

"His pulse is still low... everything is the same..."

Rosa got up and entered the information into the computer.

"But at least nothing has gotten any lower, yes?"

"I suppose so... but he is only nineteen! He should never have been in this kind of danger!"

Evaline gently touches her hand to Richard's, looking for any type of response. Anything that would signify awareness.

Nothing.

"But Evaline... he saved a family! Even their baby, all of them completely unharmed!"

"And look where it got him Rosa! He did good I know that, but at his age he should be planning for college and going out with friends... not playing hero."

A soft knock sounded at the door with the doctor soon coming in.

"So how's our honorary firefighter today?"

He had a big, broad smile despite the obvious concern in his eyes. The smile was only to comfort his patients.

His nurses weren't fooled.

Evaline spoke up before Rosa had a chance to.

"The same as yesterday James. Is Mr. Wayne here yet?"

The smile quickly disappeared from the doctor's face.

"No, he got held up because..."

Evaline snorted and pushed past James, muttering something about checking on her other patients.

"...all aircraft had weather delays..."

Rosa smiled sadly up at the doctor and stepped aside, giving him room to check on Dick.

"Hasn't shown any motor skills yet?"

He lifted up one eyelid and shined a light in it.

"No sir..."

He did the same to the other eye and shook his head in disappointment.

"His eyes aren't dilating either. Rosa, I'm afraid there's nothing much more we can do besides care for the burns and make sure he keeps that oxygen mask on. His injuries are far too extensive. Any more advanced care could threaten his life further."

Rosa hummed in agreement and added that to the computer as well.

"If anything is going to help him beyond our care it would be his family."

But they were the only ones in the room.

Two concerned.

One comatose.

Not a loved one to be spoken of.