Crippled

I understand if you hate me after this...
_______________________________________

Dick didn't wake up until the next day.

And when he did it seemed to be around dawn.

Though the most notable thing... is that the chairs were now all empty.

And although his heart hurt for a moment, he decided to be rational.

If it was just the break of dawn....

Then Bruce and Tim were probably still Batman and Robin.

He slowly blinked for a moment, allowing his eyes to wake up.

Being in that coma... well it made his eyelids feel so heavy to open.

He started a little when someone shuffled behind him. 

"Easy Richard, I was just changing the IV's."

Doctor James came around to look at his patient, his face set in a pensive expression.

Dick tried to shift his head a little to look around but was stopped by a firm hand on his leg.

"Don't move your head!"

The doctor's eyes remained on his patient's. He never broke eye contact with him as he squeezed his leg gently.

He waited a few seconds before squeezing harder, nearly digging his nails in. Dick didn't even flinch.

He took out a little light from his coat pocket and stepped forward again and turned it on.

He bent over and shined it in Dick's face.

"Just keep your eyes on me. Do not move your head."

He shined the light over his left eye. Then the right. And then back again.

Twice more he did this before turning the light off and putting it back in his pocket.

"Your eye dilation has returned to normal..."

However, James did not look very happy as he moved his hand to his chin. 

"Move your fingers."

He did.

"Now your hands."

He did that as well.

"Now... try to wiggle your legs a bit."

He did not.

But he did try.

James eyes narrowed before his arms fell to his sides.

"I'll be back soon Richard."

The doctor left without another word and left Dick with a blank look on his face, staring at his legs.

Ten minutes ticked by if Dick's count was correct. And with every second he felt his dread growing.

On the twelfth minute the door opened again, letting both James and one of Dick's nurses, Evaline he believes, into the room.

The doctor's hands were buried in his pockets, a serious look on his face.

But the nurse's face was sympathetic and she was carrying what looked like a neck brace in her hands.

"Richard we're going to try to get you on your feet, but only for a second. And the only way we are able to do that is to protect your head with this brace. It will keep your head and neck immobile. Is that okay?"

To be honest Dick knew he was going to have it on anyways... but the thought of asking his permission was appreciated.

He opened his mouth before quickly closing it again, which only resulted in sad smiles from the doctor and nurse.

Instead, he merely gave them a thumbs up.

Evaline held his head still as James situated the brace until his head was completely immobile.

Dick was actually thankful Bruce and Tim weren't here now. He knew he looked ridiculous.

Due to the bed being in a sitting position they didn't have to help him sit up, which everyone present knew was an un-spoken blessing.

Evaline held one arm while James held the other.

"On three, okay?"

Another thumbs up.

"Three..."

Dick knew what was coming...

"Two..."

 He just didn't want to accept it.

"One!"

He closed his eyes tightly as they pulled him up...

...and if it weren't for James's arms around Dick's torso... he would have crashed to the ground.

He knew it. He knew it.

He squeezed his eyes tighter and heard the doctor sigh sadly.

Richard John Grayson, Nightwing, Batman's first Robin...

...has lost the use of his legs.