Back Again

"Excellent Richard!"

Doctor Aguilar praised his progress from the other side of the walking bars, an encouraging smile on her face.

He was halfway across, with Bruce on his right keeping a feather-light hold on his arm. Barbara was to his left, she wasn't touching him though, she was just there walking with him to keep him comfortable.

Tim was in charge of Zitka this time while Alfred was busy in the kitchen making lunch.

He had the pup on the usual leash and he was sitting down on the floor, allowing the oversized puppy to curl up in his lap.

Well, the pup tried anyway. It seems he's not entirely aware of how big he is now.

Tim gave Zitka an affectionate scratch on the head before turning his attention back to his brother.

His steps were still slow and small. But his gait has improved, it's not so harsh anymore.

He's not shaking or jolting as much, it's much more fluid.

Which helps his pain. And that has also helped his overall disposition.

Much to the relief of everyone else. Slowly but surely, he was starting to act more like his old self.

But something is missing, something unattainable as of yet.

As Dick takes his last steps toward his doctor, a relaxed sigh escapes his lips.

It's been a week since his last seizure and this is only the second appointment since then. The second attempt at walking this week.

You see, when he has attacks, they try not to have him strain his body too much in the following week.

For his own good. Usually takes him a day and a half to completely recuperate anyway.

Dick was nearing the end and this would be the final trial for today, followed by a day of rest tomorrow.

Tim jolted his head up and sprang to his feet when he heard a rough grunt from Dick followed by a muffled curse from Bruce.

"Barbara! Get the wheelchair!"

Zitka started whining and straining at the leash causing Tim to pull him close to his side, he couldn't be underfoot right now if Dick was going to fall--

But he wasn't crashing to the ground. Tim's heart started to race as Dr. Aguilar carefully turned Dick around to set him in the chair while Bruce ran around to help. Barbara kneeled down in front of him, whispering softly.

It wasn't his legs... it was a seizure.

He was facing Tim yet his stare seemed to go beyond him, his mouth was opening and closing as if he was talking yet the only sounds were low groans coming from his throat.

Tim obviously knew of the seizures... he was just lucky enough to not witness one first-hand. Until now.

Tim tore his stare away from his brother and glanced at Bruce, who was watching his watch intently and counting silently.

He stopped suddenly and returned his gaze to his eldest son, an expectant look on his face.

'Must have been two minutes...' thought Tim, numbly.

Two minutes is the longest amount of time they have gone on since he came home from the hospital.

But something was wrong. When Tim glanced back at Dick he was not sleepy as usual. He was still staring straight ahead. The movements and vocalizations have stopped but it was if he was entranced by something.