If Only

Dick glanced up from his current book as Alfred entered the living room from the kitchen, carrying two cups of tea and some blueberry scones with him, Dick's favorite.

It's been a few days since Dick received the forearm crutches and since then this has become their nightly routine, starting at--

Dick glanced at the clock and hummed to himself.

8:30 pm, right on time. As soon as Alfred took his place next to him, Dick turned his head behind him and glanced toward the hall leading to the elevator, a longing look taking over his face. Bruce and Tim went out to patrol just over half an hour ago.

Alfred noticed his wistful look but decided not to say anything, it wouldn't do anything anyway. It's best just to help him try to relax.

And perhaps tonight it would be easier, as Barbara decided to take the night off of patrol and stay with Dick. She just had to finish up homework for one of her college classes and she would be right over.

Since Dick had gotten the crutches he's become a bit more restless. He's repeatedly said he wants to go down to the Batcave as he insists he can at least work on the computers, besides it's just an elevator anyways.

Which is all true of course, but it's well known that Dick has a stubborn streak and all too often can get in way over his head. They didn't want him to risk straining himself... or more accurately, to risk temptation on Dick's part.

But of course, no one was going to say that last part to his face... even though they were all thinking it.

But in all honesty, maybe they, or mainly Bruce, were being a bit too paranoid.

Seriously, what harm was there in him going to the Batcave?

At least, that was Dick's thoughts on the matter.

Dick was pulled from his thoughts when Alfred turned the TV on, flicking through a few channels.

He let out a gentle sigh and cautiously crossed his legs before putting the book down on the armrest and trying to focus on the show.

Ah well, it wouldn't do him good to linger on these thoughts, not when he was supposed to be relaxing. Besides, Babs should be coming soon.

A smile started to grace his face as this thought occurred to him and his muscles started to relax.

But that didn't last long.

The show was suddenly interrupted and changed to the local news station as breaking news flooded in.

"Oh dear..."

Dick's fists clenched the armrests.

The reporters were currently covering a hostage situation at Gotham National Bank. Apparently a robbery gone horrible... however Alfred and Dick knew it was more likely tied to the mob.

There was a quick streak of black quickly followed by red near the ceiling... no doubt Batman and Robin.

Dick looked over to Alfred with a nervous look in his eye but Alfred was already on the phone, likely with Barbara.

Fine...

Dick's eyes returned to the screen, but he quickly put the footrest down and grabbed his crutches, moving himself to the edge of his seat, barely noticing Barbara when she entered the house and nearly ran down to the elevator.

He hated just sitting here. He wanted to help, if only he could--

But his mind froze when a loud boom and flash came through the feed.