chapter one: sore throats-lonely hearts

AUTHOR'S NOTE: hi readers! if this is the first story of mine that you've read, hello! my name is gracie, i use she/they pronouns.

if you already read the story preview (that has since been unpublished) you can skip ahead in this chapter until you see the " *** " a little ways down: this is where the preview part of this chapter ends and the story continues on. if you didn't read the story preview (or you have no idea what i'm talking about right now), then read this whole chapter :)

also an important update: today is sunday, but every single chapter of this story from now on will be posted on saturdays at around 4 pm est. enjoy!

I logged onto the Dream SMP for the first time today. It was about 3 pm, but I had just woken up. I was trying to fix my sleep schedule, but it's been more fucked up lately than normal, it seems.

Oh well, I thought.

When I logged on, I saw that no one seemed to be on the server yet, so I just roamed around in Minecraft for a few minutes. I chopped down a few trees, gathered some food to save for later, and went for a walk to admire the amazing new build Foolish finished the other day. Jeez, he put a lot of work into that. I stared at it for a second until I saw a notification pop up on the bottom left of my computer screen.

"GeorgeNotFound joined the game."

I smiled.

George had a fucked up sleep schedule too, and in London he was five hours ahead of my time in Florida. Nevertheless, I had been waiting for someone to join the game, and I'm glad it ended up being him.

It was going to be a long night of recording videos for YouTube and doing some songwriting on the side, so it would be nice to talk with my best friend a little before I had to go grind on some work.

"join vc3"

I typed in chat to George.

"can't. i'm sick, remember?"

George typed back.

"so? join vc anyway. what's the matter, ur lil throat's too sore to talk?"

I typed.

"a little. it hurts."

George replied.

"too bad idiot. join vc anyway. i'm so bored."

I replied.

George didn't type anything after that, so I assumed he got mad with me and decided to leave the game.

A few seconds later, though, I heard the ding of him joining the voice chat.

"Hi." George said softly, his voice groggy.

"Look who showed up! Mister Bubonic Plague, thank you for keeping me company." I joked, moving around the tabs on my computer to adjust my mic volume.

"My throat really does hurt." George replied, as if trying to prove something to me.

"Oh I betttt, I bet." I said. "You wanna play Bed Wars with me?"

"Ummm...sure. I'll add Callahan, he'll wanna play too." George said.