chapter twenty-two: not enough

BEGINNING OF CHAPTER AUTHOR'S NOTE: this is not the last chapter!! however, there are only a few chapters left of this story.

please vote for and comment on this chapter, it helps me out so much!

*George's POV*

"You have everything?" I asked, looking around the living room in my apartment to see if I was missing anything.

Zoey nodded yes, staring up at me from her cozy blanket-fort she made from spare blankets and pillows that I had been storing away for the winter.

I smiled at her, feeling nostalgic and yearning to relive those little imaginative moments from my childhood, like building a blanket-fort.

I stared at Zoey for a few seconds- there was something willing me to not walk out that front door, to stay with her for a few weeks while she awaited her dad's trial hearing. But I knew deep down inside it would be best for me to leave her be and continue to check up on her once I got back to Florida.

In the middle of having this internal struggle in my head, I felt gentle, small arms wrap around my back, which took me by surprise. Zoey was giving me a hug.

I hugged back, talking to her as she held onto me.

"I'll call you tonight, okay? To check up on you." I said.

Zoey nodded, quickly turning her attention back to the cartoons she had found on my Netflix account.

I left Dream a quick voice memo after I walked out of my apartment and was waiting for my Uber to arrive.

"Hi baby, I miss you. I just listened to your voice memo. I'm happy you went on a walk, that's nice. I'm excited to see pictures of the trail. Zoey's okay...She's trying not to think about the situation, 'cuz it makes her sad, but...she'll be okay. I'm having Sap pick me up from the airport instead 'cuz he thought you had a meeting at 3 today, so you wouldn't be able to pick me up anyway. Maybe you forgot to tell me about the meeting...It's fine though, I'll use Sapnap as my little personal assistant for the day. I'm really excited to see you and kiss you...Okay, some lady just walked by as I said that and now I feel awkward."

I paused, both to laugh at myself and to wait for the old woman who just heard me say that to pass by. Then I continued:

"Anyway, I love you so much and I'll see you soon, Dream."

Then I ended the call.

___

"I literally could not wait to get off that stupid plane. Just about every annoying thing that could happen during a plane ride happened." I ranted to Sapnap, while in the passenger's seat of his car.

Sapnap laughed at my misery, using his free hand to take a sip from the water jug he brought along with him.

"What 'annoying things' happened?" Sap asked.

"Babies- crying. Yes, I said babies, plural. There were three of them on my flight. And of course I got stuck in the middle seat, and the person in the window seat next to me gets nauseas on planes. And the person to the left of me had their headphones at full blast the entire nine hour flight, listening to country music." I rambled on.

"Hey, country music is good!" Sapnap said back, turning down the AC in the car so he could hear me better.

"I would have to strongly disagree with that." I replied.