chapter twenty: don't be a hero

TRIGGER WARNING: this chapter contains sensitive topics that may be harmful to some readers. if you are often triggered by certain content, i suggest you check the story description for an ongoing list of trigger warnings and content warnings before reading this chapter

*George's POV*

I told Dream I loved him last night. I still can't fucking believe that. It was in-the-moment and he definitely wasn't expecting it based on the look on his face, but it's true. I love him a lot. As expected, after literally the most amazing day ever yesterday, I woke up in a very good mood this morning.

Dream slept in my room last night, so I rolled over and flung my arm to the other side of the bed to cuddle him. I found not Dream, but cold, empty bedsheets beside me.

I got up from bed, my ears surrounded by the sound of food sizzling and utensils scraping. I walked into the kitchen to find Sapnap standing over the stove, a spatula in his hand, and Dream sitting at the kitchen counter watching him. They were having a conversation when I walked in, but as soon as they both saw me, they stopped talking abruptly.

Sapnap cleared his throat, widening his eyes at Dream, then brought his attention back to the eggs he was cooking.

I scoffed at Sapnap, walking over to see how his meal was turning out.

"Who gave you access to an open fire and a sharp knife?" I joked, looking at his breakfast scramble in awe.

"I gave myself permission, 'cuz I'm a big boy." Sapnap said, meticulously watching over his food so it wouldn't burn.

I rolled my eyes at Sapnap, then turned my attention to Dream.

"Good morning." I said to Dream, leaning in to kiss him on the cheek.

"Morning." Dream replied, only glancing in my direction for just a second, like his mind was somewhere else.

I began to sit down on the stool next to Dream but I stopped, as Dream stood up quickly.

"Can I talk to you? In private?" Dream asked, now staring down at me.

His sleepy eyes were darkened even more by the hood of his sweatshirt that was hanging over half his forehead.

"Yeah, of course." I replied, not taking my eyes off him as we both walked into one of the guest bedrooms on that same floor.

I closed the door, then sat down on the bed, with Dream sitting down next to me.

He grabbed something out of his pocket, flipping it over for me to look at.

It was my phone.

"Oh, I was looking for that when I woke up." I said, grabbing it out of his hand.

"Your, um, your neighbor called. And texted...a lot. I didn't go through your phone, I promise. I just used it to check the time this morning and I saw all these missed calls and text messages from 'Cody Watson' on your lock screen." Dream said, chewing on his lower lip to distract himself.

"You planned such an amazing day for us yesterday, and I-I didn't know when to bring it up 'cuz I didn't wanna ruin the mood." I said, putting my hand on Dream's knee.

Dream didn't back away from the touch, but he also didn't offer any affection back.

"Are you, like...in trouble, or something? I'm just really anxious about this. It feels like you're being secretive on purpose." Dream said.