chapter twenty-four: changes

BEGINNING OF CHAPTER AUTHOR'S NOTE

hi friends: this is not the last chapter! the next chapter (that was published right after this chapter) is the very last chapter of this book. i don't plan on writing a sequel to this book, but who knows what will come in the future...

please vote if you have been enjoying this story :) see y'all in the final chapter.

*George's POV*

My alarm blared, playing one of those annoying preset iPhone tones, jolting me awake. I groaned, not wanting to open my eyes because I knew how packed of a work day I had ahead of me. I eventually willed my eyes open, only getting out of bed because I dreamt of an omelet last night that I wanted to make for breakfast. One with peppers and onions and sausage- fluffy on the inside, stuffed with mozzarella cheese.

Instantly I got excited, rushing downstairs to see if anyone else was awake. But the house was so incredibly silent- suspiciously silent. I checked my phone to make sure I had the right time and yep: it was definitely 10:30 am. Where the hell were Sap and Dream so early in the morning? I thought in my head of where they could be: it's a Sunday.

I brought my phone back up to my face, reading the date on my lock screen, trying to remember why this date had an importance to me that I couldn't quite recall. And then it hit me:

It had been exactly a month since Dream and I broke up.

I didn't have much time to process that thought before I heard hearty laughter outside the front door, which prompted me to snap back into reality.

I scurried into the kitchen, quickly grabbing a few eggs out of the fridge to act like I was actually doing something before they had walked in.

Into the kitchen shortly after me walked Sapnap, Punz, and Dream.

I smiled at the three of them, then yawned to cover up the feelings I had been flooded with just seconds previous.

"Oh, George! You're up." Dream said, eyeing my frantic hand movements trying to crack the cold eggs I was holding.

"Where'd you guys go?" I asked, trying to sound like I didn't care, even though I was very curious.

"IHOP, bro. Ate some bomb-ass pancakes. Dream said you were sleeping, or else you could have come with us!" Punz replied, gazing at Patches, who had jumped up on the countertop.

"Patchie, down!" Sapnap said, but the cat stood her ground and laid down on the kitchen counter.

"How'd you know I was sleeping when you left for breakfast, Dream?" I asked, whisking my eggs and watching as the egg whites mixed with the yolks.

"I checked up on you this morning: opened your door to see if you were still sleeping. And you were, so I left you alone." Dream replied, narrowing his eyes at me to see how I'd react to what he said.

But I just stared at him with a vacant expression, then turned my attention back to my breakfast.

"Don't go in my room without my permission." I replied plainly, pouring the eggs into the pan in one swift motion.

Punz cleared his throat, then started petting Patches to try to act like he wasn't uncomfortable being caught in the middle of this conversation.

"Um, Sap, the headset?" Punz asked.

"Oh! It's in my closet, or my desk drawer...? I dunno where it is, come upstairs and help me find it." Sapnap said to Punz.