chapter four: a parting gift

"So you leave on...?" Wilbur started to say.

"Thursday." I replied, finishing his sentence for him.

"Thursday...that's only two days from now, though." Wilbur commented.

"Yep..." I said, dragging my heavy fork across my plate to scrape the rest of my pasta up.

The restaurant we were at was nearly completely empty, despite the weather being exceptional. It was sunny and bright, and not too breezy, but it was 3 pm, so I guess it was probably a weird time for others to eat meals.

"That means that this is my last lunch date with my dear Gogy for a long time!" Wilbur said, making a frowny face.

"Stop calling them dates." I joked, laughing.

"Ohhh right, cuz of Dream...wouldn't wanna made him mad." Wilbur said, tossing a chip into his mouth and crunching loudly on it.

I stopped eating for a minute, watching Wilbur take a swig of the red wine he had been nursing for the last hour.

"Wait, what did you say?" I asked.

"Huh? Oh, I just said I won't call us going out to lunch 'a date' cuz Dream would get jealous." Wilbur clarified.

I laughed, but Wilbur didn't laugh back. He looked at me with a completely straight face, his expression not even changing slightly.

"You're joking, right?" I asked.

I couldn't tell if Wilbur was doing a bit, or if he was being serious right now.

Please be joking.

"...No?" He replied. "You told me a few days ago that you two were dating..."

I laughed out loud- loud enough that our waiter eyed me from across the patio and gave me a dirty look. I then lowered my voice, leaning in closer to Wilbur so he could hear me.

"You actually think Dream and I are dating?! This isn't a bit?" I said, putting down my fork now and bringing my full attention to Wilbur.

"Yeah, isn't that what you told me the other day...? You were telling me what DNF was cuz I was oblivious, you said it was your guys' ship name...I'm confused." Wilbur said, downing the last sip of his wine.

"No, I'm confused. I was just describing to you what DNF was because I joked about the blue and green bouncy things that were next to each other at the water park and you didn't get the meme...I never said Dream and I were dating." I replied.

I had so many thoughts swimming around my head in that moment. It's hilarious that Wilbur thought Dream and I were actually dating, but I also thought it was kind of sweet, in a way? I don't know why I thought that, but it crossed my mind for a second:

Wilbur didn't even think twice about supporting us, and that was kind of wholesome.

Okay, focus, George. I said to myself in my head.

What's Wilbur saying now?

"Oh..." Wilbur chuckled uncomfortably. "Sorry mate, you just talk about him so much and...I guess I heard you wrong when you were explaining it. My bad."

"You just assumed I'd been hiding it from you? We're close friends, Wilbur, why would I keep that from you?" I asked him sincerely.

"I dunno, I just assumed you were telling all of your friends about the relationship starting now and you were gonna announce it to your fans later on." Wilbur said.