chapter eight: crash and learn

BEGINNING OF CHAPTER AUTHOR'S NOTE

TW- please read the story description for an ongoing list of trigger warnings and content warnings!!

"Would that be the worst thing in the world? Having feelings for me?" Dream asked, not breaking eye contact with me for even a second.

I looked down at my hand, that was now only barely touching Dream's, and opened my mouth to reply when his mom barged into my room.

I immediately moved my hand away from Dream's, standing up off my bed so it didn't look like we were sitting right next to each other. Maybe it looked even more suspicious that way, though- me moving so suddenly right as Dream's mom came into the room. But if she noticed it she didn't say anything, and the terrified look on her face made me come to the conclusion that the last thing on her mind was what was going on in my bedroom.

"Mom?" Dream asked, standing up from the bed a few seconds after me.

"Sapnap is hurt- badly. He's going in and out of consciousness, there's blood everywhere. I think he fell on his head skateboarding." Dream's mom said frantically.

"What?! Where is he?!" Dream asked, running down the stairs.

Dream's mom followed after him, and I followed after her.

"The front porch. I didn't want to move him a lot, because that can't be good if he has a head injury...Where were you guys?! How did you allow this to happen?!" Dream's mom said, almost yelling at this point.

"Where were we?! Upstairs, unpacking the clothes we bought for George today. Sapnap was dead asleep on the couch when we got home, I didn't even know he went out skating. Look, I'm sorry, but it's not my responsibility to keep track of him. This could have happened whether or not anyone was with him. He literally refuses to wear a helmet when he skates." Dream replied, clearly distraught.

Even though Dream was completely right in saying he wasn't responsible for Sapnap getting hurt, I could tell by his facial expressions that he felt an incredible amount of guilt over the situation.

Dream didn't leave Sapnap's side the entire time we were waiting for the ambulance, and even when the ambulance came, he insisted he ride inside with Sap.

"Sorry, sir: family only inside the ambulance." The paramedic said to Dream.

"I am family. He's my brother." Dream said angrily.

I'm still not sure if the paramedic actually thought they were brothers, or if he was in too much of an urgent situation to argue with a random man he's never met before over something this unimportant. Either way, he let Dream stay in the back of the ambulance with Sap.

Since Dream's mom and I weren't allowed in the ambulance, we drove to the hospital together in her car.