the final chapter

*Dream's POV*

"Andddd time!" I called out to Sapnap, holding my hands out for him to pass me the basketball.

Sapnap scoffed, hugging the basketball tightly into his chest.

"You weren't even timing it, bro! There's no way that was a full minute." Sapnap replied, trying to catch his breath.

"It was definitely 60 seconds. And you only made four of your shots. That's pathetic, Sap." I said back.

Sapnap forcefully pushed the ball out in front of him and I caught his intentionally angry toss.

"Not all of us can be six-foot-whatever and have that as an obvious advantage in this game." Sap replied, airing out the front of his t-shirt to cool his body down.

"I think you just can't admit that you suck at basketball." I joked.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever, buddy. All I care about right now is eating more of that pumpkin pie your mom made us the other day. Is there any of it left in the fridge?" Sap asked, already walking through the sliding glass door into the dining room.

I followed behind him, narrowly escaping letting a bee inside the house, as I swiftly shut the door behind me.

"Ummm I don't know if there's any left." I replied.

Sapnap gasped as he opened the fridge, in his hand bringing out one singular slice of pie.

"The last slice!" Sapnap said in a high-pitched voice.

I watched as he went into the utensils drawer and grabbed not one, but two shiny silver forks.

"We'll share." Sap said, smiling at me.

I smiled back at him, and immediately we both started digging in to that last slice of homemade pumpkin pie together.

___

"Did you clean George's room yet?" Sap yelled from the bottom of the stairs.

"Uh, no. I'll do that right now." I replied.

I mopped the last section of my bathroom before taking all my cleaning supplies with me over to where George's old room used to be. I had been avoiding that room for the last few months ever since George moved back to London, but my family was staying at my house for Christmas, so every room had to be sparkling clean.

George and I would talk a few times a week, but it was never about anything other than work. We had a strictly business-only relationship.

In the beginning, right after he had moved out, that reality pained me: that George was just a coworker. That he'd only ever call me to schedule dates to record, or to ask when I was going live next so he wouldn't stream at the same time as me.

But eventually, we both fell back into a new normal, staying friends with all the people we originally had in our friend group, but still not being friendly with each other.

Not ever reaching out, not asking how the other was doing, not receiving any life updates whatsoever. And that's just how it was.

George's room was untouched from the last time he had moved out four months ago. And when I say untouched, I really do mean untouched.

His sheets still on the bed, wrinkly and messy in true George fashion, his heavy blackout curtains still drawn, his computer, now dusty, still sat atop his desk.