Uncle Bruno

There was a knock on Camilo’s door.

“Camilo?” Delore’s voice could be heard outside. “What’s gotten you locked up in your room all night?” 

Camilo was scrunched up on his bed as he was hugging his knees tightly. His clothes had been loosened from the day before. He had trouble sleeping all night as he had been tossing and turning. He would sometimes feel tears being shed down, but he’d only wipe them away. He couldn’t figure out why he was so upset over it. Well, of course he knew. It was all because of what had happened that day with Cain! Camilo should’ve looked at Eric’s face in order to figure out what was going to happen. Now both of them will never know what Eric has in his head. It’s not like there’s someone who has a gift for reading minds. Not anyone who came to mind at least. 

“Go away!” Camilo shouted upset with his semi-puffy red eyes. He looked down at the bottom of his door to see Delores’s shade disappeared in front of the door. 

“I’m sorry Abuela, Camilo really doesn’t seem to be feeling the greatest.” Delores tried her best to explain to their grandma. She didn’t want to push her younger brother if he really was not ready to come out yet.

“What is Camilo so sad about!?” Abuela snapped. “He’s needed for the people!” 

Delores gave a small sigh. 

“Mariano is waiting for you in your room. He said that he’s here to help you change your room up a bit. I’ll go out and help the people even more today, so I won’t be here for a while.” Abuela turned around and started to walk down the stairs. There were two people who had appeared at the front of the doors.

It had been Bruno and his lover. Alfonso gave a bow to Abuela as she flashed a smile.

“I’m glad you two have decided to come visit us for a little while. There might be some extra help needed today because Camilo is refusing to come out of his room. I’m not sure what has made him change throughout the years.” 

“How about I go and try to talk to him, Mama?” Bruno asked. Abuela gave a small face palm, gripping her dress.

“Just do whatever you can to make him come out of his room. I’m not sure what happened when everyone left. Eric had told me that Camilo might be feeling down because of his friend who hasn’t come back into the village.” Abuela explained as Alfonso looked up at Camilo’s door to see some flickering. Bruno gave a smile.

“Just do your best, and I’ll try to talk to him.” Bruno claimed as Abuela a nod. She started to walk past the two. 

“Alma.” Alfonso’s deep tone spoke out. Abuela stopped in her tracks and looked back. Alfonso turned around to make serious eye contact with her. “Make sure to remember that Camilo was not born with the reason to be used. He may have been blessed with a gift, but what he chooses to do with it is his choice at the end of the day.” 

Abuela raised her eyebrows a bit then gave an understanding nod before exiting Casita. Bruno started to walk up the stairs as Alfonso followed behind him.

“What do you think Camilo’s upset about?” Bruno asked, looking up.

“He might be having relationship problems with that friend as your mother said.” 

When they had reached up the top of the stairs. Alfonso pulled Bruno back and hugged him tightly from behind. Bruno laughed as he placed his hands on top of Alfonso’s.

“Stop that. What if someone sees?” 

“So what? You guys kiss one another as a greeting...So am I” Alfonso said as he turned Bruno’s head, kissing his chubby cheeks. Bruno tried with his hands to stop him, but Alfonso had already trapped them inside of his. Casita had to swing open the portrait to stop them from showing any more public display of affection. Alfonso glared at Casita then let go of Bruno. Bruno laughed as his cheeks were painted pink. Bruno went over to Camilo’s door and gave a knock.