1. meeting

─────────────────────────

I look down at Ava, she has her little hand wrapped around my index finger. She skips, making her blonde curled hair bounce down her back just like mine does. She beams up at me with those perfect little chestnut eyes.

I love when she looks so thrilled with life, just taking a moment to appreciate the little pockets of joy; I taught her how to hold them close to her heart because for every day that life is stunningly beautiful, there will be days that feel cloudy and dark.

We did a whole spa night when we got settled into the bedroom inside Henry's beautiful apartment in the upper east side. He had so many things on his schedule this week, that we haven't seen much of him since getting in the other day. So, for Ava, I planned the whole nine yards, nails, hair, facials, I made it really special, to celebrate our new home, NYC.

She is the greatest little girl, starting preschool in the city this fall and she's not scared at all. I'm so happy she is so brave, I never was; not until motherhood hit me like a train and made me do what Mommas do and find a way to do what's best for my babe.

I am bummed we haven't seen much of Henry since getting here two days ago. My brother has always been the busiest person I know, I prefer long strings of laziness with spurts of productivity, but that's just me I guess. We didn't exactly have a plan for us coming. It was a long spurts of me procrastinating and moving around until we made it to New York City. I called him two weeks ago, ready to settle, hoping for his help.

Even without my older brother around, I feel like this is the first time she and I have felt at home. Which is pleasant after the rollercoaster of a year we've lived through, losing a piece of our past in the dust. Ava told me last night she 'enjoyed the loud noise of the city, everyone living free and wild.'

There are a lot of inconsistencies in life when you're too stubborn to ask for help like I've been. Yes, I admit to my stubbornness, I needed Henry since my little girl came along and I shouldn't have waited years to ask, everything is clearer in hindsight. But, here we are, I have a nice little savings, made it to the city of dreams with my little butterfly, we are free to start new, together.

Now, Ava and I are heading into Yankee stadium for the big game against the Red Sox. We're both dressed in light wash denim shorts and Winter 12 jerseys. My brother is an impressive talent, he got drafted right out of college seven years ago and has been playing ever since. Though, this is a special game for Ava and I, our first time enjoying his first season on the Yankees. Our Dad would have been so over the moon for him.

I'm so proud of my brother, he was eighteen when our parents died in a car horrible accident, getting wrapped around a tree in a storm. Without a second thought, Henry stepped up for me, because I needed him. I was only fifteen and without him I would have been put through group homes and more than likely never would have kept the grades to get into Georgia State on scholarship.