10. los angeles

─────────────────────────+ Harlow +

+ Harlow +

I woke up feeling fuzzy, Ava laying across my stomach, keeping my breathing shallow. I slowly shift my body to the right and slide her onto the bed. She hums and turns to lean against a pillow, I shake my head and hurry for the bathroom.

As I stand under the overheated shower head, the event of last night plays along in my head. It was perfect, until that phone rang.

"Hen, listen dude, it's not a good- no you- I swear if you don't stop, I'll tell her."

"Henry, I won't let you do this to them."

"Fuck you too, Winter!"

I felt an anger bubbling inside my stomach, I've never been one to be angry, I consider myself more of a sad girl than a mad one. But knowing Sebastian is keeping a secret for my brother hurts. Henry has always been good at secrets and half truths, when I think about it, almost everyone I was close to in my life was. I finish with my hot shower and scurry around getting dressed.

My mind is frenzied over how to handle this anger in the middle of such a special trip. I look at Ava still snoring as I slide into a tight little blue dress with white polka dots, white vans, I pull my hair half up as I toss on the simplest makeup. I will have to pretend everything is fine until we're alone later for lunch. I think lies are something that will always fester until they ruin something...or everything.

I stand at the mirror by the front door of the hotel room and look myself over as Ava shoots out of bed full speed.

"Momma, Saundra is coming today!"

I put on my best smile, "yeah she is Butterfly, but first...let's get ready for breakfast."

+++

I texted Sebastian that we would meet him at the restaurant he wished to share with us, I told him I wanted to get something for Ava. She'd been asking for a lilac purse for ages so I took her to this beautiful mommy and me boutique that Scarlett told me about when she overheard Ava making wishes. I used this as an excuse for a pinch more time away from that handsome man I can't stay upset with.

We're walking hand in hand, Ava smiling down at her new little lilac purse. I got the same one in white, the way Ava beamed at me when I asked the saleswoman will forever be in my mind. We were walking into the large French bistro when Ava's grip tightened on my hand.

"Wow, Momma," she breathed as she looked around. I nod down at her, "it's beautiful isn't it?"

When I look around behind the host I lock eyes with those orbs of cerulean that I dream about whenever I close my eyes. He stood and I smiled at the host as Ava and I held hands and walked toward the table near a window.